Atlas vs CGEM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

I'm not concerned with either's data base. Just want to know, is one better than the other as far as accurate tracking goes?
I understand they are rated for the same load.

#2 coopfore1

coopfore1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: il

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

We have both. Really do not see any diff in the tracking. They practically seem like the same mount as for as weight capacity. Software is just different. The cgem has the better software,but the atlas can be upgraded with eqmod to even things out. The atlas is much much quieter when slewing, although the cgem slews faster. You cannot go wrong with either of these mounts. Unless you want to spend twice the money.....YMMV CS Gary

Attached Files

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Doug:

For tracking I would say either is a wash. The Atlas is quieter but slower slewing. The Atlas is EQMOD friendly and the CGEM is not. The CGEM has some updates that make it a more ergonomically friendly mount - namely superior altitude ajustment; the Atlas has a tendency to force you to bend the thin, painful adjustment screws but the CGEM has a thick, smooth, easier-to-handle knob.

I have an Atlas purchased before the CGEM was a gleam in C's eye. Were I to do it over again, likely I would opt for the more modern CGEM. That said, I've never had a hiccup with my Atlas and it has seen hard use in very tough environments (high elevation, extreme heat, high humidity, dew, etc). I've read about lots of growing pains on this forum with the CGEM, including what seem to me to be a too-large number of DOA or defective units out-of-the-box.

The database/feature set of the hand controller does matter to me, so once I feel the CGEM has its gremlins worked out I will likely switch. Until I feel warm and fuzzy toward the CGEM, however, I'll enjoy the Atlas.

Regards,

Jim

#4 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, those gremlins in the CGEM have me concerned too.

#5 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Where is the power switch on the CGEM? It sure isn't obvious!
Nevermind, found it. Like that better than the one on the CG-5.

#6 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

The CGEM uses the Losmandy type dove tail, doesn't it? I'd have to convert it to Vixen type.

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

"The CGEM uses the Losmandy type dove tail, doesn't it? I'd have to convert it to Vixen type."

Piece 'o cake. I have scopes with both dovetail requirements. Accordingly I have adapters going both ways (Vixen-to-Losmandy for the Atlas and Losmandy-to-Vixen for the CGE).

Check out ADM's offerings:

http://www.admaccessories.com/

Regards,

Jim

#8 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

ADM also offers a dual saddle for the CGEM which accepts either, which would be handy if you have scopes using both.

#9 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

Here is the ADM dual saddle plate for the Atlas. You can see how much more support it offers and the nice big locking bolts. I use the Vixen, but if I up grade scopes I have the choice of either the Vixen or Losmandy dovetail.

Attached Files

#10 joec33

joec33

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County, NY

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

So what does the CGEM come with, The Vixen saddle? I just upgraded from a cg5-gt and if the CGEM comes with a Vixen saddle I will be a happy camper!

#11 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

Prepare to be sad. The CGEM has a Losmandy-compatible saddle. Not a biggie, really. Just go with a Losmandy-to-Vixen ADM adapter and you're golden; best of both worlds.

Regards,

Jim

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

The CGEM uses the Losmandy type dove tail, doesn't it? I'd have to convert it to Vixen type.

Uhhh...what you want to do is change the dovetail on the _scope_. Losmandy D is considerably better than the Vixen dovetail.

#13 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, but the cost involved makes me think the adapter is the way to go. And one of my scopes is a 60mm. Think it might look a bit silly with that big ol' D type plate on it.
BTW Rod, had both been out at the time you bought your Atlas, which would you have chosen, it or the CGEM?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics