M809 Mak/Cass on Discmount DM6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

I took delivery of my new DM6 at the Winter Star-Freeze and it worked spectacularly! With just a simple 5-minute balancing it was super-smooth and changing eyepieces was a snap. No more "tighten-clutch - loosen-clutch" stuff for me! The Sky Commander was very accurate: after a two star alignment it put all the objects in the center of the field of a 17 Ethos (120x). Thanks to Tom Peters for such a great product! A photo or two follow.......
Dave

Attached Files

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

And.....

Attached Files

#3 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

And finally.....

Attached Files

#4 Herenomore

Herenomore

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

Congratulations Dave :waytogo: I liked your "Winter Star-Freeze" comment. The weather has been sort of on-off down here in south Florida the past week...but AFAIK no one has yet had to shovel any snow :grin: That said, with temps in the mid-40's tonight, it'll be one of those (rare) occasions when we'll be dealing with cool-down.

Enjoy your new set-up,

Tom

#5 lazhow

lazhow

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boynton Beach,FL

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Great shots David;
I was suppose to go to the WSP but I got so disappointed that my M809 had not arrived I felt I did not wish to go.
I been at the party many times and I hope you had several clear nights to try out your new DM 6 which I have found a pleasure to use on my equipment.
I gave up my goto equipment years ago since I found it easier to use and just as effective as you learn to get more out of your Sky Commander DCS.
So enjoy
Howard :)

#6 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

Very, very nice setup. Once the Discmount is "dialed in" for tension, it's a breeze to change out eyepieces without worrying about the telescope moving on you.
Good choice! :)

#7 martym

martym

Sputnik

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

I think you should drill and tap the opposite side of the block so that you can mount a laptop on a platform then connect the sky commander to it and show real time position on a planatarium program like I do with Guide 8. The laptop weight is opposite the OTA which is good, and the up-down, right-left movements are on screen in AZ mode.

#8 martym

martym

Sputnik

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

I'm kind of surprised that Mr. Peters hasn't offered something like that already as an accessory. The vertical slot could be used in liew of tapped holes as attachment for an aluminum fabrication or casting.

#9 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

• Loc: Millersburg, PA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

I think you should drill and tap the opposite side of the block so that you can mount a laptop on a platform then connect the sky commander to it and show real time position on a planatarium program like I do with Guide 8. The laptop weight is opposite the OTA which is good, and the up-down, right-left movements are on screen in AZ mode.

That would actually be a very simple mod. Good idea! You should send this one to Tom.

#10 martym

martym

Sputnik

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well it works real good because the laptop stays in front of you at eye level and swings with the mount as it is rotated to different parts of the sky. The serial cord from the sky commander to the laptop is less than 2 feet long so no tangled cords. If you have another little support on the back side of the disk mount block like I use for a small lead-acid motorcycle battery it powers the sky commander with 12 volts for heating the display and for fast rotation. Again, no cord wrap.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics