• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 polaristom

polaristom

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alaska

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

I've been using push to GEM's for several years, one being a G-11. After reading about the difficulty people have with the Gemini I thought twice before purchasing the up-grade. But now, after buying it and using it for several nights, I love it, and can believe anyone wouldn't. I've used an LX200 that would center objects fairly close, but this Gemini is right on the money. It really works well, and I don't find it hard or confusing to use at all. I'm so happy with the performance of this mount; I would hesitate to recommend it at all.
Just my 2 cents!

Attached Files

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been seriously considering one of these myself - hey.. what's that scope riding the mount? Looks familiar... yep, the lens cover gives it away! but I cant read the lettering...

#3 polaristom

polaristom

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

Looks like you have his big brother. I have TEC 140, from your signature line looks like you have the 160. Great scopes!

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

I've been using push to GEM's for several years, one being a G-11. After reading about the difficulty people have with the Gemini I thought twice before purchasing the up-grade. But now, after buying it and using it for several nights, I love it, and can believe anyone wouldn't. I've used an LX200 that would center objects fairly close, but this Gemini is right on the money. It really works well, and I don't find it hard or confusing to use at all. I'm so happy with the performance of this mount; I would hesitate to recommend it at all.
Just my 2 cents!

I'm not sure where you've read the negative press about the Gemini system, but as you've seen, it's a good system, if not a bit dated in its style. Very powerful and with just a bit of practice, quite simple to use. Have you done the polar axis correction yet? It's a neat little PA routine that works very well. I'm glad you're enjoying it!!

David

#5 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:34 AM

Nice mount Tom!
PS thats the scope I was saving up for- prior to the Taks falling in my lap- I suspect I will still get one or the 160.
Keith

#6 polaristom

polaristom

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

No, David, I haven't done the Polar Axis Correction yet. I'm a visual observer, so I don't even use the polar scope when I set-up. I'm never on an object long enough to see any drift. My observatory is about 95% complete, once it's done, no more set-up and tear down for me :). When I get the mount set on a pier, then I'll dial it in as close as possible, I'll keep the Polar Axis Correction in mind, thanks.
Hi Keith, yes, I must say, after owning TMBs and an AP, the TEC is top of the line in my opinion. The FT focuser is so nice. the scope is less than a year old, and so far, I can't find a fault. Really nice! As you can tell, I'm loving the mount too. This set-up could last me a while.
Thanks for the responses.
Tom

#7 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Soyuz

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

I am now a pure Losmandy user. I have had others. Then I got a Titan (50:1) the GM-8, and the G-11. I now own just the G-11 and the Titan. Both have the Go To. I love them both. The Titan is permanently mounted in my observatory and I use the G-11 as my grab n go mount. The tracking is unbelievably accurate with both of them. I only let go of the GM-8 because the G-11 fits the bill for grab n go whether I use a heavier or lighter weighted telescope.

#8 polaristom

polaristom

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:38 AM

You say your G-11 is your "grab and go" mount. LOL
Right on!

#9 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

My new to me Parallax HD 150 mount will be my "groan and go" mount. It has the standard Losmandy electronics now, but it's being upgraded to Gemini L4 with Maxon motors. My older son just purchased (with a little help from Dad) 20 acres on a hill top at a very dark sky site in the mountains about an hour from my home in Colorado Springs. My Mewlon 250 and Parallax HD 150 will be traveling there ...

Posted Image

:)

Chuck

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics