Photo

Help!!! Problem with an iOptron CubeG!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pmesquita

pmesquita

Vendor-MonoMods

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lisbon, Portugal

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hello all,

I'm a new iOptron user and I have a problem:

I bought a used but in very good condition (at least on the outside) CubeG mount. Although it came with the Cube A instruncion manual It's the G because it doesn't have the equtorial positioning like the Cube A.

Well, last night I went to a Star Meet (btw, this is Portugal) for 1st light on the Cube G. I connected it to a full powerstation and at first everything seemed alright, but then problems started to happen:

1- While tracking Mars, m42 and others the tracking was going too fast. I made sure it was on sidereal speed and the animal calmed down.

2- Next when I was tracking an object, the tracking placed it slightly off center after a couple of minutes. Well after I aligned the object to center view and pressed "Enter" on the Gotonova, the tracking of the object would go on but the object would jump up and down on the view everey second. It would keep in site but jumping. (I recalled here the news I had read of an earliy bug on the Cube mount - something about it tracking in "ladder" between ALT and AZ. So I thought "old firmware".

3- Then, to ruin the night completely, the mount went crazy. All of a sudden it climbed to zenith, with a lot of motor noise and on the Gotonova screen the message "motor overload,etc, etc...) I shut it down.

I went through the whole procedure again, and eall the problems happened in the same order.

At this point I gave up on the night and decided today to do a firmware update on the GOTONOVA.

I went to the iOptron site and downloaded the:

1- iOptron Downloader Setup
2- 8402G_Ver080801_Eng
3- PL-2303 Driver Installer
4- ascom driver

On windows 7 the PL-2303 Driver Installer did not install properly. So I went to a laptop with XP and installed all of ther software.

When going through the firmware/software upgrade procedure on the iOptron manual, I switched on the GOTONOVA AND NOTICED THAT THE firmware/software VERSION DID NOT MENTION 8402G OR 8402A FIRMWARE VERSION.

Anyway, I followed the procedure but the iOptron downloader always said "Please reset GOTONOVA. Waiting for conection" I've plugged and unplugged the Gotonova. I've reset the remote to the default config. several times. Nothing happens.

So I'm with a few problems:
-My mount is crazy,
-It seems to be a CubeG, but witha CubeA manual.
-the firmware version on the Gotonova isn't of a CubeG (I READ THAT IF IT'S CUBE A IT MIGHT NOT HAVE THE LETTER "A ON THE 8402 FIRMWARE)
-The iOptron Downloader doesn't recognize the Gototnova.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO HELP ME with these 4...

tahnk you for your time.

Paulo Mesquita
Portugal

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

iOptron has created an "official" Yahoo support forum. Have you asked your questions there?

#3 pmesquita

pmesquita

Vendor-MonoMods

• Vendors

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes I have. But I decided to post here too, for in the past I've had a lot of great help here at CN

Regards

#4 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Let us know how this plays out. I have been looking at the iOptron and am a bit wary of it even though if it worked correctly it would seem to be a great product.

Then there is always Steve the iOptron improover...

#5 rjsc2000

rjsc2000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portugal

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Steve is a good option as well.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hello all,

I bought a used but in very good condition (at least on the outside) CubeG mount. Although it came with the Cube A instruncion manual It's the G because it doesn't have the equtorial positioning like the Cube A.

Well, last night I went to a Star Meet (btw, this is Portugal) for 1st light on the Cube G. I connected it to a full powerstation and at first everything seemed alright, but then problems started to happen:

1- While tracking Mars, m42 and others the tracking was going too fast. I made sure it was on sidereal speed and the animal calmed down.

2- Next when I was tracking an object, the tracking placed it slightly off center after a couple of minutes. Well after I aligned the object to center view and pressed "Enter" on the Gotonova, the tracking of the object would go on but the object would jump up and down on the view everey second. It would keep in site but jumping. (I recalled here the news I had read of an earliy bug on the Cube mount - something about it tracking in "ladder" between ALT and AZ. So I thought "old firmware".

3- Then, to ruin the night completely, the mount went crazy. All of a sudden it climbed to zenith, with a lot of motor noise and on the Gotonova screen the message "motor overload,etc, etc...) I shut it down.

Hokay:

1. Was it not on sidereal? If not, sounds like you fixed your problem.

2. Not sure why you pressed "Enter," why not just recenter the objects? At any rate...there've been various "jumping" problems reported with Ioptron mounts...at least some of which have been fixed with firmware updates.

3. Things of this nature are almost always power related. Make sure the cable was firmly seated, and that the battery was indeed fully charged before use.

As for the firmware stuff, the Yahoogroup or an email to Ioptron would probably bring an answer.

#7 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hello all,

With this model and the firmware that you currently have you need to manually set the tracking speed. It appears that you have done so.

This is a firmware issue. You need the updated firmware. The current version for this model is 080801. It's on the Support Page.

This sounds like the main logic board has issues. You need to contact iOptron for the part.

I went through the whole procedure again, and eall the problems happened in the same order.

At this point I gave up on the night and decided today to do a firmware update on the GOTONOVA.

I went to the iOptron site and downloaded the:

1- iOptron Downloader Setup
2- 8402G_Ver080801_Eng
3- PL-2303 Driver Installer
4- ascom driver

On windows 7 the PL-2303 Driver Installer did not install properly. So I went to a laptop with XP and installed all of ther software.

When going through the firmware/software upgrade procedure on the iOptron manual, I switched on the GOTONOVA AND NOTICED THAT THE firmware/software VERSION DID NOT MENTION 8402G OR 8402A FIRMWARE VERSION.

Anyway, I followed the procedure but the iOptron downloader always said "Please reset GOTONOVA. Waiting for conection" I've plugged and unplugged the Gotonova. I've reset the remote to the default config. several times. Nothing happens.

You need to find out what COM PORT your hand controller is using. It will only talk to ports 1 through 9.

Review:
So I'm with a few problems:
-My mount is crazy, - Probably a bad logic board.

-It seems to be a CubeG, but witha CubeA manual. - Same manual is used for both models.

-the firmware version on the Gotonova isn't of a CubeG (I READ THAT IF IT'S CUBE A IT MIGHT NOT HAVE THE LETTER "A ON THE 8402 FIRMWARE) - This is a SMARTSTAR not a GOTONVA. The GOTONOVA is the model 8401 only.

-The iOptron Downloader doesn't recognize the Gototnova. - Check the COM PORT. You can only use 1-9.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO HELP ME with these 4...

tahnk you for your time.

Paulo Mesquita
Portugal

One last note, the ASCOM driver is of no use unless you intend to use a computer.

I hope that is of some help.

Steve

#8 pmesquita

pmesquita

Vendor-MonoMods

• Vendors

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

Well,

I put the Ascom driver issue aside and got the Com# sorted out (didn't know I had to match the PC one with the iOptron Downloader one) in 2 minutes and started the CUBEG firmware upgrade. BUT:::at 49% got an error message and the Gotonova restarted but went to a blank screen...PANIC!!!.
After stopping to hyperventilate I decided to install the iOptron Downloader version for CubeA and do the installation sequence of the CubeA firmware. Eureka!!! 15 seconds and installed!!!

Since the weather is is bad around here, I simulated, indoors, functioning in the field slewing, searching,slewing, searching,slewing, searching,etc...for half an hour. All seemed OK and the mount didn't go "Bezerk" on me.

Now only one mystery prevails...howcome I have the Gotonova with the Cube A software, with a CubeG Mount? I think it's a Cube G but I'm not sure...
I'm trying to contact the seller to figure this out, because I also have the Cube A instruction manual. And I'm assuming it's the G version because it didn't come with the EQ wedge tripod. On the iOptron site there seems to be no visible difference in the two mount heads. Maybe they have the same appearence and mechanics. Do they?

regards

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics