• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gwsudiro

gwsudiro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Solo, Central Java, Indonesia

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

hello... ^_^

is this mount come with vixen style dovetail clamp or not??

I just bought one, and it didn't came with vixen style dovetail clamp but with..I guess..losmandy style (maybe??^^¡)...4 screw holes, and an adapter for mounting rings..

I'm confused....because I thought it'll come with vixen style clamp-like I saw in the web- so I can slide my scope, with L-bracket, directly...

any thought please....

many thanks before...

Galih

edit : what I thought a losmandy style mounting at first time turn out to be just an adapter....an adapter to adopt an adapter (again) to holds mounting rings...Keith (wormstar), I'm sorry for that... ^_^¡

#2 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Mine came with a vixen- i need a Losmandy- I'll swap you :)

#3 gwsudiro

gwsudiro

Mariner 2

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

I think that's good idea..! I'll pm you wormstar...thanks before! ^^

#4 genedalton

genedalton

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Galih,

Monitor for looseness the four small screws attaching the spreader to each of the three tripod legs. These are threaded into the very thin wall of the upper leg and are a weak point. Recently, the screws loosened and fell out of one attachment. Even more recently another set of screws on another leg stripped out with not a whole lot of pressure applied. I have now replaced the screws on all legs with sheet metal screws and it is very sturdy. Of course the bottom leg extension only slides in a few inches now but this has not been a problem as this is not a very tall tripod.

GENE

#5 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Gene

Do you consider this a long term fix, or is it a poor product that will be in need of constant repair? :ooo:

#6 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

I had the same problem with the tripod that came with my Voyager. I finally tossed the legs and made some wooden ones. Much more stable and I don't worry about tiny screws and thin-walled tubing failures any longer.

#7 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Monitor for looseness the four small screws attaching the spreader to each of the three tripod legs. These are threaded into the very thin wall of the upper leg and are a weak point. Recently, the screws loosened and fell out of one attachment.

Gene; would using something such as Locktite help this?

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Gene; would using something such as Locktite help this?

Carol, yes this is a good suggestion. I traveled quite a bit with my Voyager and those screws did indeed occasionally loosen. I added some Locktite to mine and it hasn't been an issue since.

It's also probably a good idea for anyone who buys a Voyager to just gently tighten these little bolts a bit when they first get the mount. That way they will likely never have to worry about it.

#9 genedalton

genedalton

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

Scruffy, Carol,

The first time the spreader seperated from it's tripod leg, I was placing it on the driveway in the dark with a small refractor already attached. The affected leg splayed outward and the scope would have hit the concrete if I had not still had it in hand. Locktite might work, but as I stated above, the second problem arose when the four tiny screws simply stripped out under moderate pressure. This happened while I was relocating it in a well lighted room. I chose to rectify the problem long term as best I could with heavier sheet metal screws.

GENE

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Carol, yes this is a good suggestion. I traveled quite a bit with my Voyager and those screws did indeed occasionally loosen. I added some Locktite to mine and it hasn't been an issue since.

Mark, I've not had a problem yet with my Voyager; but since I have locktite; I might go ahead & do some preventative work.

#11 gwsudiro

gwsudiro

Mariner 2

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

hello mr.Dalton, hello everyone.. ^_^

I'm not sure I got it...sorry ^_^¡....would you mind to post a pic to show where's those screws are..??

thanks alot before...

Galih

#12 genedalton

genedalton

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

Galih, with the tripod legs fully extended and standing on the floor, measure 66cm from the floor up the leg to the problem area in discussion. On my model, it is white U-shaped aluminum fitting and is attached to the leg with four countersunk screws. These screws have been a repeated problem on my mount. GENE

#13 gwsudiro

gwsudiro

Mariner 2

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

okay mr.Dalton, thanks!! ^_^

one more thing, anyone knows where to buy the vixen dovetail mounting block for at-voyager separately??

best regards

Galih

#14 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

one more thing, anyone knows where to buy the vixen dovetail mounting block for at-voyager separately??

best regards

Galih

I believe these vendors ship over seas. It's the same part that went on my V'ger mount.

http://www.optcorp.c...5-216-217-12611

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

http://www.agenaastr...ma-gs-ff561.htm

#15 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

best regards

Galih

-

This supplier in Hong Kong is closer to you and he has it in stock.
http://www.tan14.com/gears.htm

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

#16 gwsudiro

gwsudiro

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

okay Jim, mr.Tong..thanks alot for the links...! ^^

best regards

Galih

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics