CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Right angle bracket for iOptron Mini Tower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

I have an iOptron Mini Tower mount with the Trapezium Tinkman Bearing upgrade. I wanted to be able to utilize this mount- with its go-to capability for my 4.25" Schiefspiegler, as with its narrow f/27 FOV, I felt go-to capability would be a great asset. As an afterthought, I decided it'd be nice to be able to mount my Vixen BT80M's on- which I've been working on setting up for solar viewing with some homemade solar filters. So I built this angle bracket for it out of .375" aluminum. I mounted the dovetail bar at a 45* angle on the side plate, so that with the scope at normal viewing angle, the dovetail on the mount would ride just about horizontal, which I feel is safer. I have 2 sets of holes in the horizontal plate, so that I can keep the load as far inboard as possible. With these bino's, I'll need to move the clamp inward. Tried it out today, it worked very well.

Attached Files

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

And in the working position-

Attached Files

#3 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Nice work Wes. Those welds look great. :bow:

#4 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, Kerry- but I can't take credit for the welding! I did the cutting and shaping and all- have a 12" Craftsman woodworking bandsaw with a great metal cutting band in it, and a table sander and spindle sander, but I have to farm out the heliarcing. I learned some time ago that looking to farm out work that was beyond my capabilities expanded what I was able to do. I found a Marine machine shop that will fit my projects in between their jobs, and get good rates by not rushing him- and since I work on an airfield, knowing that aircraft welders are the best, asked an airframes guy- a Sikorsky contractor- if he knew a good heliarc'er... he hooked me up with an accordian-playing Armenian biker who does good work at a reasonable price! He also did the welding on my all-aluminum Schiefspiegler.
Little projects such as this bracket- to expand the capability of equipments- or the solar filters on the bino are fun projects that add a lot to viewing enjoyment. Besides, you can only build so many telescopes!
Wes

#5 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Wow! What a great idea! Beautiful job too. :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics