Photo

Right angle bracket for iOptron Mini Tower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

I have an iOptron Mini Tower mount with the Trapezium Tinkman Bearing upgrade. I wanted to be able to utilize this mount- with its go-to capability for my 4.25" Schiefspiegler, as with its narrow f/27 FOV, I felt go-to capability would be a great asset. As an afterthought, I decided it'd be nice to be able to mount my Vixen BT80M's on- which I've been working on setting up for solar viewing with some homemade solar filters. So I built this angle bracket for it out of .375" aluminum. I mounted the dovetail bar at a 45* angle on the side plate, so that with the scope at normal viewing angle, the dovetail on the mount would ride just about horizontal, which I feel is safer. I have 2 sets of holes in the horizontal plate, so that I can keep the load as far inboard as possible. With these bino's, I'll need to move the clamp inward. Tried it out today, it worked very well.

Attached Files

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

And in the working position-

Attached Files

#3 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Nice work Wes. Those welds look great. :bow:

#4 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, Kerry- but I can't take credit for the welding! I did the cutting and shaping and all- have a 12" Craftsman woodworking bandsaw with a great metal cutting band in it, and a table sander and spindle sander, but I have to farm out the heliarcing. I learned some time ago that looking to farm out work that was beyond my capabilities expanded what I was able to do. I found a Marine machine shop that will fit my projects in between their jobs, and get good rates by not rushing him- and since I work on an airfield, knowing that aircraft welders are the best, asked an airframes guy- a Sikorsky contractor- if he knew a good heliarc'er... he hooked me up with an accordian-playing Armenian biker who does good work at a reasonable price! He also did the welding on my all-aluminum Schiefspiegler.
Little projects such as this bracket- to expand the capability of equipments- or the solar filters on the bino are fun projects that add a lot to viewing enjoyment. Besides, you can only build so many telescopes!
Wes

#5 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Wow! What a great idea! Beautiful job too. :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics