Photo

Atlas EQ-G

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 drewgost

drewgost

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

Can someone explain to me why the the RA Setting Circle on this mount does not move with the scope when the scope is slewing in auto mode, but it will move with the scope when I move the scope by hand?
:confused:
I have tried this with the screws tight and the screws loose

Thanks,

DrewG

#2 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

At the risk of derailing your topic, can I ask why you're using the setting circles?

#3 drewgost

drewgost

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

No reason Eric, I just was wondering why it does not move. The Dec circle does move. just curious

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

The RA circle shouldn't move. Basically, once you set it (i.e., put a star of known coordinates in the eyepiece, you set the RA circle and it should stay put. That way when you move the scope in RA, the the circle remains fixed and the pointer moves relative to the circle and indicates the new RA pointing position. The RA circle, when locked, should move with the tracking motor, however. I haven't messed with the setting circles on the Atlas, but on other non-GOTO mounts I've owned, the above describes how it worked.

Regards,

Jim

#5 drewgost

drewgost

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

Thank you Jim that is what I thought. I will have to call the manufacture I like things to work that should work.

Thanks again,

Drew

#6 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Can someone explain to me why the the RA Setting Circle on this mount does not move with the scope when the scope is slewing in auto mode, but it will move with the scope when I move the scope by hand?
:confused:
I have tried this with the screws tight and the screws loose

Thanks,

DrewG

The setting circles on the Atlas/EQ6 are not designed to work as with other mounts. The user manual explains how, when the mount is pointed at a known object such as a star, the setting circles can be adjusted to the appropriate value. From that point forward, when the clutches are locked, the setting circles will be locked to the value set even if slewing to some other location. The only way to make use of the setting circles on the EQ6/Atlas is to set the setting circles on the known star or DSO value when pointed at the object, the loosen the clutches and move the OTA to the desired next location. But this will lose any 1-, 2-, or 3-star alignment. This is a really goofy setup, not like other mounts.

Bottom line, the only way to make any use of the setting circles is to set the setting circles when pointed at a known item, then loosen the clutches since the setting circles, when tightened, will hold that value when the clutches are tightened. With the Atlas/EQ6, the setting circles are virtually useless if you do a star alignment and use the GOTO functions. The only use of the setting circles is with a good polar alignment and no star alignment and no use of GOTO. It needs the clutches to be loose in order to read the RA/DEC on the setting circles. Crazy, but that's the way this mount is designed. See the users manual.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics