Nexstar 6/8 SE Tripod Legs Removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wildthing

Wildthing

Mariner 2

• Loc: Muncie, IN

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Has ever removed the lower legs on a Nexstar 6/8 SE tripod? If so how do they come out? I would like to see if dowel rod could be inserted into the lower legs to increase their overall strength.

Donnie

#2 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

The plastic tip at the end of the lower legs of my NexStar 6SE tripod fell off one by one and I also find the lower leg of this tripod to be not stiff enough. I have carried out the following remedial work to this tripod.
I find the middle joint of this tripod glued to the upper leg and fixed with 2 grub screws. To remove the lower leg, I first remove the two grub screws and then apply heat to the middle joint. The middle joint would just drop off from the upper leg when the glue is softened up.
I inserted a full length wood dowel into the lower leg to increase the stiffness. I reinstalled the middle joint to the upper leg and use epoxy resin to glue up and refit the 2 grub screws.
The plastic lower tips were glued back to the lower legs with epoxy resin.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

#3 Wildthing

Wildthing

Mariner 2

• Loc: Muncie, IN

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

K W TONG:
Did this make a noticeable difference in the tripods stability

Donnie :question:

#4 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Did this make a noticeable difference in the tripods stability

Donnie :question:

-
After inserting wood dowel into the lower legs, the overall stiffness of the tripod does improve a bit but not dramatically. The main purpose of the operation was to re-glue the loosened parts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics