Photo

Astro-Tech 130 f/6 Triplet APO. Now in stock.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

The performance of this Astro-Tech 130mm FPL-53 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) triplet apochromatic refractor is superb, in keeping with Astro-Tech’s well-deserved reputation for producing optically and mechanically excellent optics. A representative took one to the 2010 Winter Star Party. Its performance was so well received that it sold within an hour of seeing its first light.

All of the lenses in the air-spaced triplet optics of the AT130 are fabricated from Ohara glass (Ohara is Japan’s premier manufacturer of specialized optical glass), including the first-quality FPL-53 center element.

The result of using the best possible glass is the finest possible control of spurious color. The AT130 images are free of all vestiges of the annoying faint color halos around bright objects visible in lesser scopes – despite the Astro-Tech’s fast focal ratio, and even at very high magnifications.

Those exceptional optics come in a finely-machined body with a newly-designed dual speed 2.7" linear Crayford focuser with a microfine 10:1 fine-focusing ratio. The focuser can rotate a full 360° to put your camera or eyepiece in the most comfortable observing position. The supplied 2" and 1.25" eyepiece holders use non-marring brass compression rings that won’t scratch your eyepiece barrels. The Astro-Tech AT130 has a retractable lens shade and comes in a locking aluminum-frame carrying case.

Posted Image

AT130

Clear Skies,
Mike/astronomics

#2 EQ6User

EQ6User

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Currently I own an AT111 and an Skywatcher EQ6 Pro mount. I would like to purchase an AT 130 and I wonder if the AT111 rings (mine is not the current model but rather the previous, heavier one) will fit the 130. Also if this scope will not overload the mount.

Carlos

#3 frebie

frebie

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

• -----
  • Administrators
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

The original AT111 uses 124mm rings. The AT130 uses 142mm rings. You would need new rings. The AT130 weighs only 1.9 lbs (0.86 kg) more than the original AT111, not counting the slightly heavier rings, so there shouldn't be a problem with the mount.

#4 skyjim

skyjim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, NY

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Thats a nice scope Mike, I looked at that scope at neaf this year and even spoke with the CFO at home about it but I would have to end up with just one scope and no C9.25 so we ended up with the AT111EDT. I am by no means unhappy with my purchase and even though the AT111 doesn't use FPL53 but FPL51 it does also use Ohara glass and the veiws are simply stunning plus zero CA, zilck, nada, I can only imagin what the AT130EDT looks like on the sky. I know the eye burning contrast of the 111 really surprised me, I've only seen this type of performance from other hi end APO's so what you guys are doing with the Astro Tech line is really fine, thanks for a great scope! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Jim
PS the C9.25 was delivered mid week, I only had to slighly tweek collimation and it was good to go, went threw observing about a handfull of globular clusters and detail was outstanding, planetary veiws on saturn were great. I think I'm set for a lttle while,TY,Jim.

#5 EQ6User

EQ6User

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

My plan is to use the 130 for imaging with an QHY8, accessories and a ADM dual tandem bar for mounting the guider and guidescope on the EQ6. From the weight standpoint that would be OK for my EQ6 without possibly overloading the mount and be able to get good and nicely sharp pictures?

Carlos

#6 EQ6User

EQ6User

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

I would also like to know what is the size of the scope case that comes with the AT 130. Is it larger than the one for the AT 111? If so how much larger? I ask because of size limits on my car...

Also would like to know how much difference can I expect when going from the AT111 to the AT130 aside from the weight difference. How about optics? Will I get any noticeable improvement? Will the F/6 AT130 be better than the f/7 AT111 for imaging deep sky objects?

Carlos

Carlos

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics