Photo

Mars, experiment in oil pastels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Like Kris said in his post, the weather finally cleared yesterdag for one night only in Belgium. The seeing was pretty good and I had a nice view of Mars. It was the first time I saw the Hyblaeus Extension. Left (east? west?) of this feature there were a lot of albedo features at the edge of detectable.
As an experiment I made a sketch with the oil pastels of my kids. It was fun to do but I found it very difficult to work in detail with those things. To compensate this problem (partial) I worked on a bigger scale (15x15 cm) that I'm used to.
I should think about taking a photo to. With scanning the orange looked brown. When I played a little with the colours to get the orange right, the black turned out to be rather brown :mad:

Hope you like it. All help about sketching with oil pastels is wellcome!

16/2/2010, 22.00 UT, CM 210°, alt: 62°, 12" dobson @ x300, apodizing mask

Attached Files

#2 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

That is really good Jef:D
Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more.

Lynn

#3 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Nice work, Jef. It is cool that you are using different media to improve your technique.

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Cool mars sketch, good use of color.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Jef,

Very nice, as you no doubt know oil pastels are very unforgiving and somewhat messy. The colors however are brilliant. I like using them too, but I find I need to have rags handy to clean my fingers frequently. I have discovered you can apply them with blending stumps too.
By the way great sketch. :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

Jef,

An excellent observation of Mars. Your rendering using oil pastels produces vivid colors as well as a velvety haze. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:10 AM

Thanks to you all for the kind words.

Carlos, thanks a lot for the labeling. Do you sleep those days? So many Mars sketches to label...

Frank and Carlos, I agree. The colours are more "a live" than with normal pencils.

I tried also to take a photo of the drawing. The colours are a little better. Black is black now, but white is more dirty. The contrast isn't better. The photo is taken by (shaky) hands what could explain the less of contrast.

Attached Files

#8 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

interesting use of medium Jef, and nice sketch! i think i prefer the photo...

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Kris :thanx:
Did you ever experiment with other things than pencils?

#10 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

I like chalk pastels for planets. Easier to work with and much less messy!

#11 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:18 AM

Phxbird, do you work with chalk pastels on a black or white background?

#12 proud uncle

proud uncle

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

Great, vivid sketch! Thanks for sharing.

i think i prefer the photo...

I agree. The contrast of the lighter albedo features in the northern hemisphere and around Eridania is somewhat better.

Did you not use any color filters, just the apodizing mask? I'm intrigued with the yellow coloring of Eridania. That is different than anything I've observed on Mars. Do you other observers see Eridania as yellow?

#13 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Kris :thanx:
Did you ever experiment with other things than pencils?

nope, i don't have the courage for it :) i once tried making a moonsketch with black chinese ink, with quite disastreus results! :lol:

#14 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

Kenneth

Yesterday the color filter set I ordered finaly arrived at my local astroshop. It took two months to get there! The next time it will be clear I will test them. Because I had no other color filters the only way to cut the glare in my 12" was the use of a apodizing mask. It also stabelize the immage a lot. I don't know why it works, but it works for me.

About Eridania... my notes at the eyepiece says "yellowish", so maybe the yellow colour is a little bit exaggerated. I made the color sketch the next day and the set of oil pastels of my kids is limited on the numbers of colors. In general (also with Jupiter) I have difficult to put the right color on paper. Which colour do you see in Eridania?

#15 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

Eridiani definitely looks much brighter than its surroundings and iirc also brighter than the dessert plains in the north. i thought there's a cloud over the area.

#16 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Dear Jef,

it is rewarding to experiment with new methods. Somtimes they work and sometimes they don't.

You saw a lot of detail. The shadings of color in the southern part are very nice.

But I find the planet too red and the contrast to the brighter p side to harsh. My observations show that much more subtle.

But keep experimenting with this method! May be your next sketch is quite different.

#17 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Uwe, you're right about the coloring. The positive thing about oil pastels is that the are more vivid (maybe to vivid for Mars). The negative thing is you can't mix the colors (put one color on to another, like color pencils). And like I said in one of the posts the oil pastel set of my childeren was limited in number. I think it will stay with this one experiment.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics