3 replies to this topic

#1 paulobao

paulobao

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Porto, Portugal

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

I'm an ATLAS EQMOD user. I like this mount because with the USB interface you don't need any exterior box, just your laptop, the cable and the mount. I allways have a high accuracy goto, high accuracy guiding, etc.

My question: if I want to use a Losmandy G-11 mount with Cartes de Ciel to have the same level of accuracy and simplicity what version of the G-11 should I buy (because there is many: stepper motors, Gemini, ...).

I want simplicity like my ATLAS EQMOD controled via ASCOM!!

My routine to acquiring any kind of image (for instance asteroids up to mag 19.5):

- polar align the mount
- set home position
- slew to a known (?) star via CDC/EQMOD
- use gamepad to center star (I view the star through my piggyback scope and guiding camera wich is paralel with the image scope)
- Sync in CDC/EQMOD
- I'm ready to go. Usually I slew to a star near the object I want to image, center it, sync. Then goto Object and guiding (the guiding calibration was already done of course!)

Note: I do not use it for visual just photo (DSO, astrometry, photometry).

Regards,

paulo

#2 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

I believe that in order to control the G-11 with a computer, you need to have the Gemini-equipped version. Should be able to use an ASCOM driver.

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

You can auto-guide with either the standard stepper non-goto version or the Gemini version. If you want goto functions with or without computer control you will need the Gemini version.

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

The nice thing about EQMOD is that the bulk of what you need software wise is free, and there is more support for the mount with EQMOD than you'll see with the older Gemini driver (I have yet to try the newest Gemini.net driver, which is supposed to be a big improvement.)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics