C-8 Tripod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

• Loc: Baxter, Mn

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have an older black tripod with the center post on it and one of the clamps on the end of one leg has broken. I was thinking of using JB Weld to put back on (and hope it works), but I cannot get the leg extension out. I would like to get it out of the way so I don't have to worry about the JB Weld sticking to it. Anyone have any ideas??
Here is a picture of the problem..

Attached Files

#2 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

First, JBweld has no hope of holding that part on. You should be able to get a replacement clamp, though.

#3 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Problem is that it is part of the leg. It isn't a separate part. I would have to find another and replace the whole leg which I really don't want to do that.

#4 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

See if the entire bottom of the leg won't unscrew. It's a fitting attached to the end of the tube.

-Rich

#5 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

I have been trying to turn it but nothing so far.. I would think it would have to come apart some how..

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Well, to get in business for the near term, you could get a small C-clamp and use it to make the leg grip. Not ideal but if you aren't changing leg height a lot, it will get you back outside observing.

The person who would be assured to have an answer for you is Don Rothman- he runs teletrade on astronomy mall. If the replacement part is out there for an old tripod leg, he has it.

-Rich

#7 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Rich, I have been talking to him here the last couple of days. He gave me the information I needed to get the thing apart. I am having the seller get ahold of Celestron to see what can be done also.

#8 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well just to let people know, JB Weld will not hold the part. It seems to work until you put it under tension. I do have a replacement leg coming though. Just seems to be a shame not to be able to use the one I have.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics