Early Eveing Planets and NGC 246

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

If you would like to see the stories and sketches, we have posted two stories on our site (address under my signature; go to the Inspiration: Stories and Sketches hot button on the Home Page).

The contrast among subjects we can observe give us immeasurable opportunities to study and sketch widely varying targets. It is no secret that my wife and I have sure enjoyed it. Like the wide variety of observing opportunities we have enjoyed, these two stories are vastly different in subject, equipment, and situation.

We get lots of questions from some of our overseas friends about observing planets, and few of those folks can get to the site, so the planet example helps them see a subject they can duplicate with just binoculars and in the early evening when they can safely be out. So part of one sketch shows a relatively common but pretty sight with Venus and Jupiter. A little later I grabbed Mars, which is an inset sketch. I am not nearly as good as many sketchers on this forum on planets, but many have spurred me to try as best I can. The next story down is entirely different: grabbing NGC 246 with astro video. The color on the object is mesmerizing. It's shape is equally entertaining to study.

In any case, it was a couple of fun nights.

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

Roland,

Very inspirational observations and words on the various objects that you have observed. You have noted much detail over the planetary nebula and galaxies. Mars also shows some detail over it's disk. The crater Herschel is very detailed. Thank you for sharing these observations wih us all.

Carlos

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Roland,

Excellent observations and sketches. These additions to your site are certainly inspirational.
When the sky opens it is always a time for the fun to begin. :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

Thanks Frank and Carlos. Glad you enjoyed them. We have record snowfall and low temps this year...I am frankly looking for warmer clearer weather for observing, but I will take what I can.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics