Photo

Vixen SXD on G11 HD tripod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi all,

I've been using Vixen SXD on HAL 130 tripod for a few years. I wasn't thrilled by the tripod. I have four Losmandy HD mount base compatible tripods. So I wanted to use SXD on the sturdy tripods.

I looked around (Googling) but I didn't find good leads. So I decided to ask Ken Dauzat (http://www.kendauzat.net) to build SXD to HD mount adapter.

I have a few HD mount bases for Discmounts DM-6 sitting around. So I just need something between SXD and the mount base.

On left, aluminum doughnut block, the adapter Ken built for me, on right, DM-6 HD mount base:

Posted Image

Just placed the doughnut on top of DM-6 HD mount base:

Posted Image

How they look before putting them together:

Posted Image

SXD close up on top of HD tripod:

Posted Image

5" f/7 refractor on top:
Posted Image

This simple adapter made the system much more stable.

Tammy

#2 Tim

Tim

Messenger

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

Looks like he does nice work.

#3 hGmnwi

hGmnwi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:44 AM

Looks nice. Just like original.

#4 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yes, Ken does very good job. Originally I asked him to build one piece SXD->HD adapter including Losmandy HD tripod mount base.

After talking to him, he suggested the simpler solution, doughnut shape aluminum block. It turned out to be simple and a very good solution that I was looking for.

Tammy

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

Dealt with Ken on a number of things.....never been disappointed. He made my adapter for mounting my LXD75 to a Meade standard field tripod....well done and reasonable.

#6 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

That looks really nice!

I noticed that the boss that the azimuth adjustment screws work against is missing from the aluminum doughnut block. Do you ever miss not having it when polar aligning the mount, or for keeping the AZ from slipping over time?

Bob

#7 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

That looks really nice!

I noticed that the boss that the azimuth adjustment screws work against is missing from the aluminum doughnut block. Do you ever miss not having it when polar aligning the mount, or for keeping the AZ from slipping over time?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am planning to use the mount with this tripod with rotatable G11 mount base (Joe Castoro's, www.binoscope.com). You can rotate the mount very smoothly. So I don't find need of Azimuth fine tuning. You unlock the mount lock a bit and then you can rotate whole mount easily when you need fine tuning for polar alignment.

Posted Image

Or I can use Vixen half pillar on top of the SXD -> G11 mount base and you have original azimuth knobs like below :)
Posted Image

You can look at higher resolution photo here if you are interested Link to higher resolution pictures

Tammy

#8 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

But, of course!! :foreheadslap:

Very elegant solution. :D

Bob

#9 imhotep

imhotep

Vendor - Optical Supports

• Vendors

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

That really looks great. I'm trying to rig up something similar for mounting an Atlas EQ-G to my HD tripod. I'm wondering if the same adapter disc that Ken machined for you would work for my mount.

#10 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

That really looks great. I'm trying to rig up something similar for mounting an Atlas EQ-G to my HD tripod. I'm wondering if the same adapter disc that Ken machined for you would work for my mount.

Hi Curt,

I am not sure of the same doughnut shape aluminum block works with EQ-G. I think you measure what you need and ask Ken to build for you.

That's how I got mine in about a week including shipping time :) The Losmandy G11 base is from Tom Peters (It is for DM-6 mount from www.discmounts.com).

Tammy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics