CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 4038 and 4039, "The Antennae"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Well, I've still been working at sketching; still need lots of practice. This is the second sketch I've posted: The Antennae Galaxies in Corvus. I did it after getting up early one morning after the moon had set. I'm not sure how this will look on other monitors. Seeing and transparency were a little below average, so it was pretty faint. The image is digitally manipulated quite a bit, but a good representation of what I observed nonetheless. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

Jeff
I never managed to see those two galaxies because they are low in the sky for me. So thanks for posting, it gives me a good idea what I will see with my 12" one day that the seeing will be excellent even low in the sky.

#3 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

Very realistic view. Thanks Jeff

#4 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Thanks, they're fairly low in the sky for me as well. I'm sure they would be much better farther South.

#5 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks. Not to critique my own sketch, but now that I look at it after posting, it looks more like a nebula than a galaxy. It didn't look like that to me on my screen, but maybe the light conditions have changed. The joys of working in Photoshop. I was going for a more even appearance. I obviously didn't see all that filamentary-looking structure at all. More of a faint smudge with a dark gap down the middle and a little brightening in the "nodes". Back to the drawing board as they say. :crazy:

#6 Hrundi

Hrundi

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

That's almost exactly how they looked like to me, when I observed them. Except possibly that they were dimmer and less defined for me at 14 deg altititude :)

Great sketch.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Jeff,

I think they look nice.:waytogo: You can't see them from where I am on a good night.

Frank :)

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

Jeff,

Your sketch reflects the two galaxies nicely. Here are other sketches of these merging galaxies and I think yours rates up there with them. Well done!

APOD Sketch NGC 4038/39

NGC 4038 Sketch

#9 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

A very nice drawing of this pair of merging galaxies, though they looked somewhat brighter than that from a very dark site I used to look at them. To me, they look like one of those old-fashioned inflatable life preservers.

Taras

#10 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Tnanks Jay. Your blog is great. I'm thinking about jumping on the blogwagon.

#11 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Taras. These galaxies are pretty low in the sky here and are in the direction of the only light pollution I have. I'm sure they are much better the farther south one gets.

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

Jeff,

An excellent observation of the Antennae galaxies (NGC 4038/4039). This is an interesting pair of colliding galaxies. I have seen them in a large Dobsonian as well. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#13 colazza

colazza

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Thanks. Not to critique my own sketch, but now that I look at it after posting, it looks more like a nebula than a galaxy. It didn't look like that to me on my screen, but maybe the light conditions have changed. The joys of working in Photoshop. I was going for a more even appearance. I obviously didn't see all that filamentary-looking structure at all. More of a faint smudge with a dark gap down the middle and a little brightening in the "nodes". Back to the drawing board as they say. :crazy:

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for your nice sketch. I have seen "the antennae" only once till now, it was around april 2009 with an 8" GSO-Dobsonian telescope (200/1200, f/6).

May you tell us your fst (faintest star) or SQM that night? I'm really interested in your sketch because I'm going to have a look at that galaxy pair next week and I really hope to make a sketch as nice and detailed as yours. :bow:

Thanks
Costa

#14 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Jeff
That is a great sketch.
Lynn

#15 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

That's nice... They look like tadpoles. I've never observed these guys from dark skies, so thanks for giving me a taste.

#16 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

Many thanks everybody.

Costa: I'm not sure what my faintest star was that night. These galaxies were low in the sky and on their way down at that point, plus I have a little light pollution in that direction. Going by memory I'd say the faintest star would have been about 5.0; something like that. Not all that good really. Good luck to you with your observation.

Jeff

#17 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

That sketch is pretty good and sums up exactly how those galaxies look in an average-sized scope. It looks just fine on my monitor. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
I have seen those galaxies from lower latitudes than the UK - my own observing site is at 50 North, slightly further south (although not much) than Jef De Wit's location in Belgium, but I have also seen them from here, as our county has nothing but 60 miles of sea to the south between here and the next landfall, France. As you'd expect, such a low altitude doesn't make for great views.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics