Photo

Don't believe that this image is eligible...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

BillP:

Posted Image

Here's "our" entry for Feb. It is a composit of many sketching members work to document the 2010 Mars Opposition which I just completed compiling.

Bill, I really like the compilation, but I don't know if it can be entered in the contest. There is a rule in the contest whose intent is to keep the images the work of one person. It was written from the perspective of an imager but the intent is pretty clear:

10. You must be the owner or co-owner and operator. You must setup, align, take the exposures and process them yourself. No pay by the hour rent-a-scope images will be allowed.

I do not think that a compilation of several folks work will pass muster without changing this rule.

Charlie

#2 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

The intent of the rule rule seems to be exclusion of rent-a-scope images.

This is a different animal all together. But, if submitting a entry from a group is disqualified by the mods, so be it.

#3 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

If that's the rule, guess that's the rule. Seems though that the rule needs some updating if a group of CNers get together to submit a single work. Otherwise the rule discourages group efforts and sub-community building and only encourages lone-wolf works. Some food for thought next time the rules are reviewed.

Would be nice however, if there were some way to get the work of this entire forum of Mars sketchers a front page spot somehow. A lot of good work here around an important celestial event. I think it's a good example of the CN community and how it is a little different than most. Something to be proud of.

#4 Hrundi

Hrundi

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Estonia

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

Each of those could be entered separately, but if entered like that, then practically half of the sketching forum wins :p

#5 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Bill, if all the contributors were to give the ok, this would be wonderful to feature at ASOD.

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

You can always make a waiver from a rule, especially if the rule basically has nothing to do with the submission,I think some folks refrain from submitting their works in a contest as they don't sketch to win contests, but this group effort shows what sketching is all about, individuals offering their vision to the group and other folks comparing data and everyone learning in the process,to reject it because of an irrelevant rule diminishes the contest not the entree, anyway its your contest and we will have to respectively abide by your decision.

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

Jeremy and Bill,

I give my consent to use my image however you want. If you need it in a PM let me know.

Tommy,

Outstanding post. I appreciate your elegant wording and agree with you.

Edit out last paragraph.

#8 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana, USA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

Bill, I really like the compilation, but I don't know if it can be entered in the contest. There is a rule in the contest whose intent is to keep the images the work of one person. It was written from the perspective of an imager but the intent is pretty clear:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. You must be the owner or co-owner and operator. You must setup, align, take the exposures and process them yourself. No pay by the hour rent-a-scope images will be allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think that a compilation of several folks work will pass muster without changing this rule.

Aaahhhh, cmon. That's one of the coolest things I've seen on CN. Rules were meant to be broken...errr,uummm...bent, maybe.

#9 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

Well, I submitted my sketch for Feb contest, but I vote to let this amazing compilation to be and win this contest!

#10 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

Well, I submitted my sketch for Feb contest, but I vote to let this amazing compilation to be and win this contest!

I also submitted an individual sketch for the Feb contest but would be happy for the compilation to stay in and win. My drawings are free to use by anybody for anything.

#11 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

As much as like the compilation, I agree with Charlie, this doesn't qualify for the monthly contest.

These entries should be entirely the work of the person submitting them. This particular image also raises the issue of submitting the work of other people to the contest without their permission - which may not be appreciated by some.

#12 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Bill, if all the contributors were to give the ok, this would be wonderful to feature at ASOD.

Great idea Jeremy. I've sent out PMs to everyone.

#13 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

Bill, you are most welcome to submit it to ASOD as far as my sketch is concerned. Since some of us use user names here, it might be a nice addition to list our real names in the description portion (or even under the individual sketches if you felt like making that change) for the ASOD entry.

Mine is Erika Rix.

Great job on the compilation. I love seeing group efforts like this.

#14 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Bill, while you're at it, you may want to ask about the ok to submit to Spaceweather, APOD, and AAPOD. It is that good. :)

#15 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

As much as like the compilation, I agree with Charlie, this doesn't qualify for the monthly contest.

Eric,

Would you speak to the powers that be about possibly adding a new section to the monthly contest? One for multi-party or group works? This way some very unique items could be presented like groups of imagers, sketchers, etc. and even a mix of all the groups. Would allow some very creative outlets. If there is interest and they need a volunteer to draft of a set of rules for that category, I would volunteer.

#16 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

I understand the point behind the disqualification of this entry, so I've picked another entry to to give my vote to (and it's not mine).

Anyhow, I just wanted to say, that I congratulate to everyone who took the time to sketch Mars last month and were patient enough to wait until their mirror cools down. :D

#17 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Bill,

It was an inspired idea and a gallant effort on your part to give this idea a try.
The rules of the sketching/image contest should be followed to the letter or modified to be inclusive of such a work.

Frank

PS Bill in my mind you won for originality

#18 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Frank. Never my intent for "me" to win. Would demand 25 t-shirts from CN if it won :lol: From the beginning for me, this was and is definitely "our" work. A great team of Mars sketchers here :) I've sent PMs to all for permission so it can be posted off-CN like suggested...to ASOD and other places. Credit will always be to all 25 members whose pics are shown. Once I get all the permissions then will maintain a thread here letting people know where it is posted so they can see and keep track.

btw, now that Saturn is becoming more of an evening star...we should do the same thing for it as well :grin:

#19 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

If that's the rule, guess that's the rule. Seems though that the rule needs some updating if a group of CNers get together to submit a single work. Otherwise the rule discourages group efforts and sub-community building and only encourages lone-wolf works. Some food for thought next time the rules are reviewed.

Would be nice however, if there were some way to get the work of this entire forum of Mars sketchers a front page spot somehow. A lot of good work here around an important celestial event. I think it's a good example of the CN community and how it is a little different than most. Something to be proud of.

Bill, that's a good thought. I think I'll nose around a bit and see if something can be arranged.

#20 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Once again folks, I really am truly sorry about this.

#21 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Bill,

Great idea on Saturn! I encourage you to start a thread where we can post our sketch of Saturn and then combine it into one piece. I look forward to seeing everyone's observation. Someone may want to get Sol's Saturn template out if he is agreeable.

#22 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Bill, Charlie, and all

This was a great idea and a new venture to experiment in multiple imaging. I just wished you could have included my entire sketch showing the Martian landscape. I almost entered that one. You have all reminded me to enter into the ASOD eventually which I have totally overlooked so many times now.

Thanks again and I hope they can find a place for this great collage compilation that Bill assembled. You have my persmission to use my image.

Mark

#23 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

Bill, good idea for Saturn. Count me in.

#24 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Though I don't think what is happening here was a bad thing, I do understand the moderators' concerns regarding authorship. I believe this was done simply out of a mutual respect for the observers rather than some other motive.

That said, my stuff had been printed in a major astronomy magazine without my permission. The magazine believed that since it came by it through a secondary source, they believed it was fair game through that source. The magazine, technically, makes money through the content and quality it prints and sells. That's the bugaboo since they assemble their content and quality from outside sources for the most part. Its also been used in various astronomy club's online tutorials and observing guides without permission. IMO, a magazine should know better. Non-profit amateur astronomy clubs get the benefit of the doubt.

Again I don't think there is any of that type of thing going on here regarding in this particular case. I believe that the folks here at CN maintain a pretty high standard in terms of respecting authorship and vendor ethics.

Might be best to not make a big deal about a friendly contest, and I say this because I sketch simply for the fun of it. That said, I believe that this particular compilation can make the rounds in other forums, I.E. Beginners & Planetary forums. I think the ensuing discussions and comments made in a noncontest format would hopefully be a very positive thing for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I hope I'm somewhat clear about this.

Best,

#25 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Might be best to not make a big deal about a friendly contest, and I say this because I sketch simply for the fun of it. That said, I believe that this particular compilation can make the rounds in other forums, I.E. Beginners & Planetary forums. I think the ensuing discussions and comments made in a noncontest format would hopefully be a very positive thing for obvious reasons.

Sol,

I like the concept of having an area for people, or groups of people who might work a mixed media project together, could post their best efforts. A gallery of sorts. We kind of have it already as a forum space in the AstroArt Forum. However, all the work here gets no CN Front Page attention and not sure a forum format would be most condusive. Would be quite interesting to have a front page window or something where you could simply scroll thru the fascinating images, sketches, mixed art people produce. Then clicking on the ones you like might take you to the thread in the AstroArt Forum where it is posted and discussed. Maybe something like the way reviews are set up where all the reviews are in one space, then you can link to the threads discussing them...or something a little more attention getting and friendlier interface perhaps...but the basic concept. A lot of the stuff is quite exciting to see as people are so creative...just a shame that it's all hidden so deep in the bowels of the webspace IMO.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics