Got the three things the CGEM should have come wit

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Gotta love Scope Stuff! Lickety-split delivery time and all the small widgets you could ever hope for!!

I got the regulated 12V power supply rated at 3.3A continuous. In addition I got the right-angle connector for the jack at the mount so the power cable isn't sticking straight out.

And then, finally the 5-foot extension for the handbox cord. :bow:

I knew I was safe to order this stuff since I am not supposed to get any clear sky at all for a week. :bawling:

#2 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Paul, those are all good must haves... one other that I've just purchased from ADM was Anthony's dual replacement saddle. It allows V / D series dovetails to be used. Just seems that Celestron would include some of your 'must haves' since they really add to the CGEM's usability....

#3 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

I have two CGEM must-haves on order - a lifetime UPS subscription for shipping back to Celestron and a "your motor is about to quit" indicator that alerts UPS and me when its almost time to ship. Hope you're having good luck with yours.

#4 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Paul;

I have the 5 foot extension for the handpaddle, it is the most useful accessory I have ever purchased. Great to be able to walk over to the table with the observing list and just type in the RA and Dec. Great stuff.

I also went with the new handles for the saddle tighening bolts and azmuth bolts. The smooth handles that come stock are just too slippery for me.

Mr. Nitzel, I am very sorry that you are having troubles with your CGEM, mine is working just great, no returns at all. I know that there are one or two other folks here that have had troubles, but I hope you get yours cleared and can start enjoying your mount.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#5 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

Steve,

Did you get the ScopeStuff knobs or ADM knobs? Just curious, as I have owned both.

I have had some CGEM HC connection issues (loosely fitting or badly crimpted RJ-11 cable). You might have seen the other CGEM thread running concurrently here. I think my issues are purley connection, as I have never had any motor issues. Once I tape the RJ11 connection into it's socket tightly my issues stop. Sigh... I guess it's time to call Celestron. Hopefully they will just send me an HC without me having to be without one for a while. I'm hoping they would be happy to take my CC number in hostage until I return the defective HC.

#6 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

No, I did not spend the money on ADM accessories yet. I can see it coming but not yet.

I did however, get the box from ScopeStuff. I plugged in the right angle extension into the cord on the regulated power supply. Plugged the power supply into the wall.

Green light comes on.... CHECK.

Plugged the right-angle extension into the CGEM and then connected the hand controller. It would not turn on. I removed the right angle extension and plugged the power supply unit directly into the CGEM and still, it would not come on.

I disconnected it, and plugged in the OEM cord & hooked it up to my battery - and the mount came right on no prob. So I went over and rechecked the brand new power supply. Changed wall sockets. Still, have a green light on the power supply but it will not power up the mount.

In three days I am leaving for Arizona Sky Village with this mount and my triplet. I hope I have a resolution by then :bawling:

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Paul,
Sorry to hear about your power supply issues. It is frustrating to get a new piece of equipment that will not work out of the box. I hope you can get it resolved before your trip.

I know you are looking to get the ADM knobs ...maybe a great birthday gift from someone who really likes you! :D

I was just interested in what Steve had acquired for saddle and AZ knobs. I had started with the ScopeStuff knobs and had some issues. Jim was great and refunded my money, they are a very good vendor to work with. So I was a bit cautious going to ADM...and I must say the quality of Anthony's work is amazing!! Who would ever think a CNC machined knob (annodized orange of course) would ever inspire such awe. :crazy: So I have been investing slowly in the rest of the set, although in doing so I have blown the 25% discount you get for buying the Super Set! Even if you only get some of the knobs, the saddle bolts and the AZ knobs are well worth it, as the Celestron ones are not that good...shall we say. I always had issues getting the saddle bolts to turn because it is tough to get a good grip on them with or without gloves on!

Clear Skies (especially for your trip!)

#8 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Kim;

Mine are from Scopestuff and I am happy with them. The aluminum knurled knobs are much better than the Celestron stock knobs. I really do think that sometimes nobody at a company uses this equipment before declaring it ready for the public. I like Celestron, they make good stuff, but maybe some use under dark skies would provide some insight.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#9 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Kirk - I have to agree, especially about the saddle knobs! Twice now I've had to break out a pair of pliers to get the knobs to turn (better that then my scope slipping!). I just received the ADM knob set and it's sooooo much easier to manipulate. I've purchases several items from ADM and the quality is superb. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the accessory that makes my processing skills better though (oh, yeah........practice :foreheadslap:)

#10 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Steve,

I'm glad those are working out for you. I really like ScopeStuff's "stuff". As I said, they are great folks to deal with!
Kirk

#11 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Kirk - I have to agree, especially about the saddle knobs! Twice now I've had to break out a pair of pliers to get the knobs to turn (better that then my scope slipping!). I just received the ADM knob set and it's sooooo much easier to manipulate. I've purchases several items from ADM and the quality is superb. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the accessory that makes my processing skills better though (oh, yeah........practice :foreheadslap:)

John,
Great to hear you got the ADM knobs. I like you, had a time or two when I had to break out the pliers to get the stock saddle knobs to turn. I guess it might have had a little to do with the mount cooling from an inside temp (70*F) down to about 20*F after a nights observing. It always makes me nervous when I loosen the saddle knobs to take my OTA off, and crummy knobs do not help! The new ADM knobs are superb. I have also swapped out the clutch knobs and the AZ knobs, as they are the functional ones I use most. I will probably do the big altitude knob and the T knob lock for the Altitude knob...and the little Polar alignment plug on the front. It looks nice...but then again its usually in the dark, so I only see the nice anodized orange parts while the scope is sitting in my office! :lol:

As for an accessory on for better processing skills...I think we can all use the practice!! :roflmao:

Clear Skies!

#12 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

yup...the ADM az knobs were the best upgrade for my CGEM. I would highly recommend them. I can't see spending $150 on the whole set, but $40 for the az knobs?...well worth it.

#13 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

Received the ADM dual saddle for my CGEM today, and I have to say, this is the saddle that should have shipped with the mount. It's machined instead of die cast as the mount and original saddle. It supports both V and D series dovetails and the saddle knobs are a vast improvement over the stock ones. Don't have pictures yet, but will post some soon. This upgrade solves one of my annoying setup problems, that of moving rings from one dovetail type to another if I switch mounts. And Anthony even included an ADM red flashlight, probably because there was a slight delay in getting the latest batch of saddles anodized and shipped. As far as installation goes, it was simple and straightforward. The saddle was a bit of a tight fit, but a little lithium on the inside of the saddle mount allowed it to finally be gently tapped into place. I could have sanded the mount head to get rid of the rough casting surface but opted for the grease solution. If you're looking for an upgrade that really increases the CGEM's functionality, this may be your solution too.... I've purchased a number of ADM accessories over the past year and as usual the workmanship is excellent. :bow:

#14 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

yup...the ADM az knobs were the best upgrade for my CGEM. I would highly recommend them. I can't see spending $150 on the whole set, but $40 for the az knobs?...well worth it.

Jade,
You might want the saddle knobs too..huge improvement!! As for the getting the whole set...the super set as Anthony calls it, is $199, it includes (among many other knobs) the clutch knobs and the three rosette knobs for the tripod leg extension releases. I know it seems extravagant...when you could get a decent EP or other accesory for your scope for that price...but hey orange is my favorite color! :cool:

Clear Skies!

#15 tturtle

tturtle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

Paul,
I have the same power supply from scopestuff and initially had a problem with the connection to the mount. On mine the barrel of the plug was not long enough to seat all the way into the CGEM socket so no electrical connection was being made. I was about to call scopestuff and complain when I decided on a whim to take a knife and cut back about 2mm of the black plastic around the barrel so it would sit in deeper. This worked perfectly and provided a very secure connection for the plug. There is enough plastic on the right angle plug that cutting a bit off does not weaken it. Perhaps you could try the same solution if you see that the barrel of the plug does not appear long enough.

#16 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

I added some "slick strip" material between the tripod and the mount (i heard about it here on CN) and that made a noticeable improvement too when polar aligning. It's a very non-permanent, cheap way to get a smoother polar alignment.

#17 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Paul,
I have the same power supply from scopestuff and initially had a problem with the connection to the mount. On mine the barrel of the plug was not long enough to seat all the way into the CGEM socket so no electrical connection was being made. I was about to call scopestuff and complain when I decided on a whim to take a knife and cut back about 2mm of the black plastic around the barrel so it would sit in deeper. This worked perfectly and provided a very secure connection for the plug. There is enough plastic on the right angle plug that cutting a bit off does not weaken it. Perhaps you could try the same solution if you see that the barrel of the plug does not appear long enough.

Thanks yea they do need modification. I have a solution though. ON the way back from Ariz Sky Village yesterday, we stopped in Tucson & visited Starizona. I was tempted to chop the end off the OEM plug & solder it on to the wires on the ScopeStuff power supply. But Starizona had a better solution: a female cigarette-lighter socket to plug in to the OEM male cig plug adapter. ON the other end of it, there's a female 3.5mm socket to plug the cord in from the transformer.

So now, I have more cord than ever and no soldered/taped together joints. Plus I can use the OEM threaded connector to plug into the scope. And when I'm in the field, I can just unplug this stuff and use the OEM connectors with my battery pack in areas where there is no 110V power.

Great solution!!@ :jump:

#18 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

I added some "slick strip" material between the tripod and the mount (i heard about it here on CN) and that made a noticeable improvement too when polar aligning. It's a very non-permanent, cheap way to get a smoother polar alignment.

Got mine in the mail yesterday & I can't wait to stick it on the mount!! And the roll has enough to use on my other mounts too. Great stuff! :bow:

#19 shwright50

shwright50

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

@ :jump: [/quote] [quote name="SanDiegoPaul"] But Starizona had a better solution: a female cigarette-lighter socket to plug in to the OEM male cig plug adapter. ON the other end of it, there's a female 3.5mm socket to plug the cord in from the transformer.

So now, I have more cord than ever and no soldered/taped together joints. Plus I can use the OEM threaded connector to plug into the scope. And when I'm in the field, I can just unplug this stuff and use the OEM connectors with my battery pack in areas where there is no 110V power.[/quote]

Paul,

The lads at Starizona turned me on to the same strategy; it works great. I've never lost electrical contact using it.
Great solution!! :jump:

Cheers,

Steve W

#20 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

• Loc: Lawndale NC, USA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

If your looking for a more economical alternative to CGEM mount plate knobs, try these...............

http://www.grainger....ger/items/3GJL9

Grainger Ind Supply......$2.65 each.

Posted Image

#21 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

• Loc: Lawndale NC, USA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

The same ones fit the Alt/Azm and they also have them for the tripod legs! ;)

Posted Image

#22 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

I've replaced both DEC and RA clutch knobs on the CGEM with ADM "upgrade" orange knobs but these new knobs aren't such a tight fit as the original black Celestron clutch knobs :(

#23 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Gotta love Scope Stuff! Lickety-split delivery time and all the small widgets you could ever hope for!!

I got the regulated 12V power supply rated at 3.3A continuous. In addition I got the right-angle connector for the jack at the mount so the power cable isn't sticking straight out.

And then, finally the 5-foot extension for the handbox cord. :bow:

I knew I was safe to order this stuff since I am not supposed to get any clear sky at all for a week. :bawling:

I got a 3A regulated switching supply from Radio Shack, and the right angle plug from Parts Express. These were for my Atlas. I still need the HC extension cord though.
I also upgraded the mount's saddle to an ADM dual saddle. Now I can mount any scope I own, and the greater clamping area of the new saddle really helps firm up the scope from wiggles.

#24 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Stewart,
I bought from Granger's too, but I got the knobs separate and added stainless steel hardware to go with it. The knobs are a little larger and I was able to replace the AZM adjusting knobs/screws as well. The stainless steel hardware made it more expensive...$18.68 for all 4 bolts/knobs for the saddle and AZM. Sure make a difference and a lot cheaper than the 'Designer' brand.

Stan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics