• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Post deleted by sealevel

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

I believe if you remove the base cover you will find that either the sensor that sits under the magnet on the worm has become undone, or the other end of the sensor cable is not plugged in or seated incorrectly.

Posted Image

#3 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

remove the base cover you will find that either the sensor that sits under the magnet on the worm has become undone, or the other end of the sensor cable is not plugged in or seated incorrectly.

Posted Image

Thanks Marcus,
There is just one problem. I know nothing of the workings of this scope. I've only had it in my hands for ~2 weeks. How do I remove the base cover? Will I have to take it off the wedge? Will I have to remove the base plate first before I check for a loose connection? Are the colors of the sensor wires the same as in your picture? Awaiting your reply. Once again, thanks so much, Marcus.

Davio R. :question:

#4 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Davio,
Unfortunately you will have to remove the scope from the wedge in order to remove the base cover. You will also have to remove the base to check the sensor. There are maybe 6 or 8 screws that hold in on, I don't actually remember the exact number.

I would lay the scope on a soft surface like a couch. Loosen the Dec clutch and raise the base so it is at a 90 degree angle to the optical tube so you can access the bottom. Lean the scope base against the back of the couch. lock both the Dec and Ra clutches, and then remove the screws.

I can't say for sure that the colors will be exact. My scope is older and a difference model so they may not be an exact match. But in order to check the connectors you just need to follow the wires back from the sensor.

Again I should note this picture is from a older LX200GPS 10" not your 8" LX200ACF. In the photo below "A" is the connector for sensor, be sure it is seated correctly. "B" is the sensor that came loose on my scope. It should be attached under the worm in the location I showed in the previous post. If your sensor has become dislodged you'll need to glue it back.

If the sensor has become detached you may want to consider removal of the motor/worm gear assembly it may be easier for you to properly reattach the sensor in the correct location. This will also allow glue to set with no stress on the wires.

Posted Image

#5 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

remove the base cover you will find that either the sensor that sits under the magnet on the worm has become undone, or the other end of the sensor cable is not plugged in or seated incorrectly.

Posted Image

Thanks Marcus,
There is just one problem. I know nothing of the workings of this scope. I've only had it in my hands for ~2 weeks. How do I remove the base cover? Will I have to take it off the wedge? Will I have to remove the base plate first before I check for a loose connection? Are the colors of the sensor wires the same as in your picture? Awaiting your reply. Once again, thanks so much, Marcus.

Davio R. :question:

Hi Marcus,
I got the courage to remove the top base cover, top side, under the OTA, and saw nothing but two big wire harness bundles leading downward into the deep base of the scope and the other ends leading into each fork arm with large bolts holding everything together. I replaced the plate. I removed both inside fork arm plates, after removing the battery holder, and saw the same thing except one harness lead upward to the DEC motor and the other end back down into the scope base. I saw no connection junctures. Do I need to remove the outer fork arm plates? If so, which one if I'm looking directly at the RA release knob - the arm with the DEC fine adjustment knob? Thanks for your patience.

Davio R.

#6 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

Davio,
Unfortunately you will have to remove the scope from the wedge in order to remove the base cover. You will also have to remove the base to check the sensor. There are maybe 6 or 8 screws that hold in on, I don't actually remember the exact number.

I would lay the scope on a soft surface like a couch. Loosen the Dec clutch and raise the base so it is at a 90 degree angle to the optical tube so you can access the bottom. Lean the scope base against the back of the couch. lock both the Dec and Ra clutches, and then remove the screws.

I can't say for sure that the colors will be exact. My scope is older and a difference model so they may not be an exact match. But in order to check the connectors you just need to follow the wires back from the sensor.

Again I should note this picture is from a older LX200GPS 10" not your 8" LX200ACF. In the photo below "A" is the connector for sensor, be sure it is seated correctly. "B" is the sensor that came loose on my scope. It should be attached under the worm in the location I showed in the previous post. If your sensor has become dislodged you'll need to glue it back.

If the sensor has become detached you may want to consider removal of the motor/worm gear assembly it may be easier for you to properly reattach the sensor in the correct location. This will also allow glue to set with no stress on the wires.

Posted Image

Thanks Marcus,
Your directions are very clear. I'm going to call Meade and make sure they can't fix this via computer glitch. If it's mechanical, I'll, give it a try. It looks pretty straight forward. BTW - Great observatory site and it's wonderful :bow: that you're working with our youth. I taught High School for a number of years. I'll try and keep you posted. Thanks, again.

Davio R. :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics