NGC 4565

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana, USA

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

I only recently discovered this galaxy and it has quickly become one of my favorites. As is becoming usual for me, the rough sketch was done at the eyepiece and refinements made later in Photoshop. I tried to minimize the PS manipulations in this one, but it's still easy to get carried away.

I also re-visited this galaxy last night while we were having an unusually good night of seeing and transparency. I was able to crank the magnification up to 230x and the dust lane was, I feel, even more prominent than in this sketch. But this is a pretty close, for me anyway. I'm really enjoying sketching. It's amazing how much it hones your observing skills. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

That's absolutely gorgeous Jeff; looks like a slightly underexposed photograph. I'll have to take a look at this one tonight.

Was this sketch done at a fairly dark site or did you have to fight light pollution? If you're dealing with light pollution that's an amazing amount of detail.

#3 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks. Yes, it's a pretty dark site. My place is kind of on the transition area between green and blue on the light pollution map. That part of the sky is close to pristine, and this one gets high enough that I can see some good detail. Especially when the conditions are good.

I've been holding off on posting this one until I could revisit it and confirm that I wasn't embellishing it. Last night was about as good as I've seen and I could see the dust lane and the brighter knots away from the central region. But it's definitely something of a composite of about an hours worth of observation. I don't think I could sit down at the eyepiece and immediately discern all of those details at first glance. It's a great, bright galaxy. I recommend it to anybody, but I'm not sure what the lower limit for aperture would be. I think I'll have a look at it tonight with my 8" and see how it compares.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Jeff,

That is very nice and I would say based on the level of detail in the galaxy, your site is very dark. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:
On an exceptional night I can make out the dust lane with an 18" scope but no where near as nice as this.
I should point out I am under the sky glow of Chicago and bright suburbs.

Frank :)

#5 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Wow, amazing work here!

#6 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

:bow:

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Awesome, just an awesome job! :bow: :bow: :bow: :jump: :jump: I love the amount of detail you captured.

On a side note your post made me wish that we had an organized event for those in Montana, Idaho and northern Utah to go to. That would be a lot of fun.

#8 mandotrout

mandotrout

Ranger 4

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks everybody.

Jay, I've had the same thought about a star party for our region. Maybe one of these days I'll post something on the observing board to see if there's any interest.

#9 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Beautiful sketch, Jeff! :cool:

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Jeff,

An outstanding observation of NGC 4565. This is one of my favorite galaxies to observe, especially in a large Dobsonian reflector. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

Nicely done; it's a favorite of mine also. Very good detail. My eyes are not that good so I need to use astro video to get that kind of detail.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics