$344. roll-away observatory?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Visited our local Sam's Club yesterday and came across an assembled Apex 4 x 6 room. It's footprint measures 51" across the front, 75" deep - and a substantial 82.5" at its peak. Because of its height, it might work well as a safe house for a rollout telescope - or with some modifications to it's molded floor - as a roll-away observatory. Looks good, too - especially for those limited to use of a small footprint. More details may be found at: www.Keter.com

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

That's a nice looking shed.

#3 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

• Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Well done:waytogo:

#4 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:33 AM

interesting-especially as you think it can be used as a rollaway shed

I just emailed the local Australian Rep to see where I can have a look at one of these.

#5 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

• Loc: NJ

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

I would love to see somebody make an observatory out of one of these. Totally within my budget (once I get a back yard to put it in, that is).

#6 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

RRP here in Australia is $779.....

#7 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

My local Sams Club has discounted its last remaining "Telescope Storage Shed" (a floor model) to $299. Given the valuable 26-1/2 square feet of aisle space it consumes, I believe I can convince the store manager to do much better - and so could you. Big Box stores are motivated to get rid of their Spring and Summer merchandise. Check the Keter website in my original March post (above) and follow the tabs to its 4x6 Apex storage building. With a few modifications, you will snag a cost-effective micro-observatory that that requires NO stooping to enter. And it looks gorgeous to boot.

Outside dimensions are 51"W x 75"L (includes roof eaves) x 85"T (at its peak). Inside dimensions are 46"W x 70"L x 82-1/2" at its peak. Interior volume is 138 cubic feet. I believe the sidewalls are approx. six feet tall.

Most Sams Club have probably sold out of this item long ago - but you never really know. When calling your local Sams Club, inquire about item #256832.

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Rain, storms, and high winds?

#9 Avi

Avi

Viking 1

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Arizona

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

LOTS of duct tape... Red Green to the rescue!

Rain, storms, and high winds?

#10 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Keter claims all control surfaces are wind tunnel tested to sustain Mach-10 micro-bursts. Of course, placing it inside a chain-link dog kennel might also work. :cool:

#11 PWP

PWP

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Visited our local Sam's Club yesterday and came across an assembled Apex 4 x 6 room. It's footprint measures 51" across the front, 75" deep - and a substantial 82.5" at its peak. Because of its height, it might work well as a safe house for a rollout telescope - or with some modifications to it's molded floor - as a roll-away observatory. Looks good, too - especially for those limited to use of a small footprint. More details may be found at: www.Keter.com

I went with this for an observatory and just finished the build. Has already withstood a few heavy rains and 45 MPH wind gust one evening. Still standing strong and no leaks. Cheers! :)

http://www.cloudynig...5697636/page...

Attached Files

#12 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

My local HOA would unfortunately never let me get away with using any of the common prefab structures like this for either observatory or storage. I'd have to build something out of materials and of a style resembling that of my house to pass muster with the Ahh-cah-tech-tural com-mit-hhee.

Fortunately however, my house as-is already has a great "safe house" for my scopes and gear: a two-car garage (that doesn't face the street when open) with clean, smooth concrete floors, which isn't used to park our cars.

#13 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Could you remodel the exterior of the house to match the shed and get it approved that way? :tonofbricks:

Tim

#14 PWP

PWP

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

My local HOA would unfortunately never let me get away with using any of the common prefab structures like this for either observatory or storage. I'd have to build something out of materials and of a style resembling that of my house to pass muster with the Ahh-cah-tech-tural com-mit-hhee.

Sounds like a neighborhood I used to live in back in Missouri. It was a golf course community and you couldn't even plant a bush or pull one up without checking with the landscaping committee. HOA dues were $460 a year and we didn't even get use of the golf course or pool. The only good thing was it kept folks from doing whatever they wanted. Let's face it, some folks will put up any old thing as long as it works not giving any thought to aesthetics. I used to roll my scope in and out of the garage but I got tired of polar aligning and having to star align every session then roll everything back in again. In Texas, every home has a 2 inch drop down for some reason as well so you had to be careful not to jar your mirrors or electronics. Just glad to be on a perm pier now. It is as simple as waking up the scope from hibernate, letting the GPS pull down current date and time and I am still aligned. Loving it. :)

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Fortunately however, my house as-is already has a great "safe house" for my scopes and gear: a two-car garage (that doesn't face the street when open) with clean, smooth concrete floors, which isn't used to park our cars.

Just paint the "Stars and Bars" on the door and you'll have to get permission to tear it down....cause they'll make you leave it up....

#16 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Looking at the pics, it's on wheels. In Texas, it'd qualifiy as a mobile home......

#17 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have a roll away shed for my AP900GTO on a concrete pier. Had the pier for a couple of years. When I upgraded the mount I built a deck 12'x16' deck around the pier and bought a shed. I added interior 2x4 framing for strength, cut out a U shape piece from the floor, desk in back half, and added 4 crank up trailer wheels. I clip down the 4 corners to secure it from high winds. It looks pretty normal from the outside.

Attached Files

#18 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I used a shed like this as a rollaway, cut a u in the floor so I can pull it around the pier.
Here's a shot when it was under construction almost finished

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics