Mars 07/03

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

The sky is clear again tonight, so i plan to make some mars sketches showing rotation. sketches will follow.

also i tried snapshotting mars thru the 12" dob by holding a digital camera behind the eyepiece at 625x. seeing is quite good, only some wind gusts making observing difficult.

left is the original image, and right the one after me messing around in photoshop. if anyone wants to try 'processing' it, feel free!

i'm actually amazed you can see some detail on it, sinus sabaeus is clearly visible with sinus meridiani, mare erythraeum and nilliacus lacus with mare acidalicum!

i guess i shot 30+ images, and this is actually the only one showing something.

Posted Image

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Kris,

An excellent image of Mars. I have tried adjusting your image and the attached image is the best I can produce. A more stable setup (e.g. camera holder) may produce even better results for you. The people on the imaging forum are the ones to ask. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

here's the sketch, during moments of better seeing lots of details were visible around in the northern half of the planet. also a streak pointing downwards from sinus meridiani was seen, i know it's not a real hard feature but that's what i saw, and i've seen it as well in some old sketches and pictures. for this sketch the apodizing mask only provided marginally better views as seeing was proper enough!

i can already feel the difference 3 arc seconds make :o the major albedo features are slowly getting fuzzier and i could see the terminator again. i guess this is the start of the bad part with the planet increasing in distance and the views decreasing in detail :(

Posted Image

#4 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Wow, that is nice Kris. Lots of details.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Kris,

Your sketch looks wonderful. :cool: The subtle, abundant detail is very ,very good. :bow:
I'm impressed that you could hold a camera steady at the eyepiece to snap a shot that good.
I played with your photo and this was the best I could do.

Frank :)

Attached Files

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

very nice snapshot and excellant mars sketch,getting someway to attach the camera to the scope either directly or on a tripod would help as would using the movie mode of the planet converting the data then stacking the pictures again the imaging forum is the place to get advice if you what it , your sketches are superb.

#7 proud uncle

proud uncle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

i can already feel the difference 3 arc seconds make :o the major albedo features are slowly getting fuzzier and i could see the terminator again. i guess this is the start of the bad part with the planet increasing in distance and the views decreasing in detail :(

That time is coming, but the clarity and detail in your sketch does not suggest we are there yet. In other words, excellent sketch and detail! You also captured the terminator and diffraction rings nicely (maybe you did the latter in Photoshop?). :cool:

#8 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi Kris,

wonderful sketch of Mars,with a lot of details,very good.

CS

Markus

#9 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:33 AM

Dear Kris,

you saw an astonish amount of detail! Thank you for that sketch.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics