Mounting a Finder Scope

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

I have a Sky-Watcher 114N-EQ2. I want to add a modified GalileoScope for a finder. It has a 1/4" fitting for mounting. I can mount it on the EQ2 ring, but then it will be upside down half the time. Any suggestions?

#2 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

It's not quite that simple. You'll need to mount the GalileoScope in a set of finder scope rings that are mounted on the main scope's OTA in order to then adjust it to be exactly parallel with the main scope.

#3 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

I was worried that might be the case. Can anything be done with the shoe the red dot finder is in? or is that not enough support?

What are the options for attaching to the tube? only rings?

Just thinking......this is a mount on the rings that hold the OTA to the mount.....I'd think they were parallel with the OTA. The issue is, the tube rotates, and the finder wouldn't.....

#4 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Unless the Galileoscope is small enough to fit into a finderscope holder that will fit into the dovetail that the red dot finder is in, you'll need to buy two more rings that will fit on the main OTA, and a plate to mount on those rings, and then a set of finderscope rings to mount on that plate.

Why not just use the red dot finder?

#5 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

That is what I've been using (the rdf), but I've had in mind to add the GalileoScope as a finder, more so that I can will use it more. It's light, and a good size.

I've also kicked around using my SkyScout instead, to give me a push to. That would need to be mounted similarly, parallel to the OTA. The tube is ferrous, though, so the SkyScout doesn't like to be within a foot of the tube.

I should note that with the red dot finder, if I can't see anything due to light pollution, there is nothing to point at with the red dot finder. But I've been just using my 40mm or 30mm EP to find stuff after pointing in the general area.

#6 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

You can still mount it on the ring if you want to use it. Even though putting it there may not be good for using it as a finderscope, you can still use it for viewing the sky. So it's not a finder scope. Big deal, you're now piggybacking two scopes, using the RDF to get you in the neighborhood, provided light pollution isn't too bad to use the RDF.

Experiment with it, that's part of the fun of our hobby! Forget what's "right" and "wrong" and just have fun with it.

#7 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'm have been the tweaking away! I haven't let anyone saying something won't work stop me from trying! I'll try it. I have a diag on the scope, so I could still aim with it, especially if it's on the top of the scope. I was just trying to avoid having to track down and buy another set of rings, though that's probably the end solution.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics