2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi,
after struggling with a poor example of an EQ6 for CCD imaging, I've just about given up on it (Yep, I've done all the rebuilds etc, but the basic parts in my example are all poor quality, so no amount of regreasing, polishing and adjustment can cure it).

I am wondering whether the Vixen GPD2 would be capable of guided imaging at 1.8 meters focal length. I have a beautiful example of a VC200L, and would like to be able to image with it autoguided for 5min plus exposures.

Load would be VC200L, 80mm guidescope, QHY8, Q-Guide guider. Well under the 10kg load limit Vixen quotes.

Anyone with a similar setup able to comment?

cheers
Gary

#2 tidroplane

tidroplane

Apollo

• Loc: Everett, Wa. USA

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

I think you would be pushing that mount pretty hard, if the mount is rated at 20kg, you would want to try and have only half of the rated weight mounted on it for AP. Your 200L comes in at over 13kg alone and with the guide scope and camera and accessories I think you would be very close to its absolute limit for visual. I think you would need to look for something rated closer to 30kg to handle your scopes and camera, espescially with imaging at longer focal lengths, such as your VC200L at f9, just my 2 cents....good luck!

#3 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:54 AM

Hi,
VC200L is 6kg....with gudescope adding another kg well under 10kg rating. Perhaps you are thinking pounds?

cheers
Gary

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics