• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Chester, PA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Folks,

I recently got a C14 that had the CGE dovetail plate on it. The plate, at least to me, seems a bit more flexible than it should be for such a large scope to avoid flexing when the scope moves from one side of the meridian to the other. I was wondering if anyone had purchased the ADM (or other brand of) dovetail plate and switched them out and if dovetail plate was more rigid than the CGE plate?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

thanks,

Wayne

#2 Frank

Frank

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I do have a Losmandy dovetail and that one is as solid as a ROCK. No flex at all.

#3 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thanks. Any idea how it compares to the CGE plate? I just notice that when it's on the scope, I can flex it and figure that if I can flex it with a little hand pressure, then it's flexing during use and affecting tracking and pointing performance. I figure I'll get the ADM (or Losmandy) dovetail plate if anyone can confirm that they are more rigid than the CGE plate.

Wayne

#4 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Are you sure the dovetail is flexing and not the mount? I've used Losmandy dovetails on a Meade 14" scope and it was quite stable but now i have the same dovetail as you on my C-14 and the only flexure i notice is in the CGE mount itself. I actually like the CGE dovetail as it sits closer to the OTA. All the others use radius blocks which place the dovetail and OTA further apart.

#5 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

It's the CGE Pro mount.. i can't get the saddle to move with my head even when exerting a fair amount of force against it. I've grabbed the middle of the dovetail plate and it seems to flex a little. If it's about the same rigidity as the other brands, though, I won't worry about it ;) I'm just asking to see if anyone else has noticed this or would recommend a different dovetail plate.

thanks,

Wayne

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

I'm just asking to see if anyone else has noticed this

I have. The Losmandy DC14 is significantly more rigid and I'd recommend making the switch.

#7 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

I must add that i have the upgraded Casady saddle which is quite a bit longer than the standard CGE saddle. This could make a bit of a difference in the perceived flexure.

#8 Frank

Frank

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

The Losmandy dovetail on my CGE1400 (replacing the Celestron original one) doesn't flex at all/ Very stable - recommend this move.

#9 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

Thanks all :) I didn't want to spend $150, or so, upgrading unless there was some background to suggest it would help. It sounds like this would be a worthwhile move... so I think I'll give it a shot.

Wayne

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics