Mars 17/03 sketch

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

just a quick 20 min glimpse before the clouds rolled in again :cloudy: seeing was average/fair, but the disk approaching 10" makes seeing much details harder. not much details seen thus. couldn't detect Nodus alcyonus left/under syrtis major, just a hint of utopia streaking out where nodus alcyonus should be, but that would be imagination. the typical curve/hook at the tip of syrtis major is also out of my reach again and the streak extending left into the deserts (moeris?) is only faintly visible to me. the appearance of syrtis major is broader/wider to my eyes than a few weeks ago, i've read this is a normal thing when mars recedes again. lybia still appeared brighter than it's surroundings to me though. overall the 'left' (is it east or west :confused: side of SM was darker and sharper bordered than the right side wich looked dimmer and vaguer. some gradations of brightness were seen around hellas, with sinus sabaeus at right wit a small darker spot of sinus meridiani rotating into view at the terminator (mars is easily seen as gibbous again too).

something that caught my eye was the brightness of the southernmost part of hellas, which appeared as bright, or almost as bright, as the north polar cap. is the sout polar cap forming already again :question: i thought the actual pole is hidden from our view because of the axial tilt now?

Posted Image

#2 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

WOW!! Really nice details. :bow: :goodjob:
Wish I would have drawn Mars at our star party.

Lynn

#3 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

very good scetch, many details - thanks

Michael

#4 oleg oleg

oleg oleg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Russia

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hi! I'm from Russia, I also observed Mars at this moment! one hour earlier ..
at the 240mm Newton. Here's the sketch.
I watched the Martian twilight. But I did not see clearly Nodus Alcyonius in a separate spot.

Attached Files

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Kris,
Great observation! I think you're right about the SPC; I'd guess fog or clouds in Hellas is what you recorded. You can certainly get the most out of an 8"!

Oleg,
That's a wonderful rendition. Are you using the computer, or are you really that good with just a pencil??

#6 oleg oleg

oleg oleg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Russia

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

Rick, this sketch after observation is made entirely in Photoshop using primitive technique drawing - "brush" and "lighting". Similarly pencil / eraser / paper. I would like as close as possible to draw a picture visible in the eyepiece.
Sorry, I translate by Google.
Thank you!

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

oleg: wonderful sketch, very smooth and realistic, you might want to try color next time? :)

Rick: thanks, for this, and most of my latest sketches, i used the 12" dob.

#8 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

oleg,

Beautiful sketch. Nice detail. :bow:

I used full text translator. EDIT: It didn't work. I deleted.

Lynn

#9 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

That's really nice work, Kris and Oleg. I guess I should not have given up yet on Mars. :p

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Kris,

That is a thrilling Mars sketch. The visual detail on a good night of seeing is there but it does take a good long look. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

---

Oleg- very nice work. :bow:

Frank :)

#11 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Kris, I have just observed Mars (17th March 20:15UT) and Hellas does look very bright.

#12 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Very nice Mars sketches Kris and Oleg, thanks for posting, Mars is still putting on a good show despite its small size.

#13 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Viking 1

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:15 AM

Dear Kris,

thank you for your sketch. There is a lot of detail waiting for us. I hoper for clear sky and will continue to skecthc the Red Planet.

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Kris,

An excellent observation of Mars. You have recorded a good amount of albedo features with a 10 arc-second disk. The bright feature over the southern limb is most likely an extremely bright haze and not the south pole. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#15 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Oleg,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum.

An excellent and very realistic observation of Mars. Your rendering gives the impression of viewing Mars through the eyepiece along with you. You have recorded a good amount of albedo features in your observation. I have labeled the major albedo features recorded. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I look forward to your future observations on this forum.

Carlos

Attached Files

#16 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Looks very nice; must have been a fun time.

#17 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Kris,

I got my turn tonight. I started observing before it was dark but I had to wait out poor seeing conditions. Syrtis Major had rotated over to the limb but I could tell that Hellas region and south polar areas were bright.
The weather here was unseasonably warm and dry. As Mars shrinks it remains a good target. I was using my 10" dob. and a 4mm eyepiece for 362x. The "real sketch" is the first (graphite drawing)

Sketching:

White sketching paper 8" x 11"; HB graphite pencil, blending stumps for blending orange, brown, blue and yellow Crayola pencil shavings.
Date 3/19/2010 – Time 0:25-0:45 UT
Telescope: 10 inch f/5.7 Dobsonian and 4mm eyepiece 362 x
Temperature: 16°C (60°F)
partly cloudy
Transparency 2/5
Seeing: Antoniadi III

Frank McCabe

Attached Files

#18 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

Frank,

An excellent observation of Mars. Lots of detail visible over the Martian surface although the disk is getting smaller. I have labeled the major albedo features visible. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#19 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

Oleg - sensationell - great scetch

Michael

#20 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

good sketch Frank, lots of details in it. you saw some interesting things such as the white/bright spoke/streak coming out of the hellas region. i hope i'll get one more chance to see that side :)

The weather here was unseasonably warm and dry..

that's odd, over here it's also unseasonably warm the last two days up to 16 and even 18°C! we probably should be around 10°c if it is that much...

i've had my eyes checked alongside other tests at work yesterday, and guess what? i've been doing all my observing and sketching using the wrong eye :lol: could hardly read the tiny letters (testing far sight) using my right eye, and with my left i just rattled them off like it was nothing :shocked: :foreheadslap:

so my left eye clearly looks sharper, but i've tried switching eyes at the scope, and because i'm so used at the right eye, observing with left feels very unnatural... i'll try to get accustomed to it though! and to think i just know this now that the opposition is mostly over :tonofbricks:

#21 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Kris,

Using your dominate eye (right for you) is more important as long as you get a clear view when you focus your scope. I prefer to observe without glasses at the eyepiece but when I sketch I must wear glasses. At the eyepiece I can see just as well with or without glasses but I need to focus in much more when I wear glasses. I suffer from "old eyes" presbyopia and have since 40 years old.

Mars is getting tougher fast. Thanks for your nice words. You handle the albedo features better than I do. I tend to make my margins too sharp when sketching planetary features. Crater on the moon are easier to handle.

-----
Carlos- Thank you so much for labeling my sketch again.
I have really missed not seeing many of your sketches recently. I presume it is because you are too busy.

#22 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:42 AM

@ Kris, Frank, Uwe, Oleg, Dweller, TE (and everybody who I forgot): thanks a lot for posting all those beautiful Mars sketches this week! For the moment I find no time to react to your individual posts.

I was wednesday out observing Mars at the same time as Kris. A lot of clouds made only the brightest stars visible (NELM +/- 2.0, at the end of the observing even Castor and Pollux were gone...). With the good side of Mars visible and the weatherforecast announcing the weekend as rainy, I took my change.
The image in the scope was really bad and without the apodizing mask I could only make out the polarcap and Syrtis Major (who looked very sharp). I used my filterset (80a and 15 given the best result) that helped me to see Casius and the bright region (Hellas?) at the south. It was the first time I even couldn't make out some limb haze.
The sketch was done with a pastel pencil set I recieved for my birthday from my mother-in-law.

17/03/2010, 21.20-21.35 UT, 12" dobson @ x300 (apodizing mask + W80a + W15), CM 287°, alt 62°, diam. 10,5", color pastel pencils on white printing paper

Attached Files

#23 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

good sketch Jef, i like your new colours :) it's interesting how different observers see things different, you saw Syrtis major as very sharp whilst i see it as broader than before!

#24 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Jef,

Very nice sketch. :bow: I agree with Kris nice colors. :rainbow:
--
Kris, I see it (syrtis major) as more rounded if the seeing is very good. I think I sketch the darkest albedo features only and I don't shade them off like I should. I'm still struggling with my Mars sketching.

#25 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Kris and Frank, thanks a lot for the kind words.

The colors in the sketch are limited by the number of pencils in the set. It was my first experience with pastel pencils, but I found it very easy to make the color a little darker or lighter (Syrtis Major and Utopia were done with the same pencil). The pastel pencils work also good with a kneedable eraser (for limb haze or lighter regions).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics