Mars 17/03 sketch

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

Kris, I see it (syrtis major) as more rounded if the seeing is very good. I think I sketch the darkest albedo features only and I don't shade them off like I should. I'm still struggling with my Mars sketching.

Frank :)

i think it's something inherent to us sketchers to be (too?) critical about our own technique, or the final result of a sketch? it's never the way we really remember seeing it at the eyepiece, but it's so difficult to do that with pencils. i guess Photoshop and the likes are most suited to render the most realistic image (as oleg's sketch) but i'd like to keep at the pencils & paper :)
i feel i'm still struggling too at mars sketching, trying to get the colours right for two oppositions now! :grin:

#27 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Kris, Frank, Oleg, and Jef,

Nice thread with fine sketches by all of you. Interesting that everyone saw Hellas as bright--I did too, even though it was on or just past the limb at the time of my observation on the 19th.

Kris, your colors look good to me. One thing about Mars--it never appears to be the same color to me from one observation to the next (although my observations have been few and far between). That may be due to Mars's altitude, the transparency, the time of the apparition, and/or conditions in the Martian atmosphere.

Keep up the good work, everyone. :cool:

#28 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Wow, great collection of sketches in this thread! Well done, everyone!

-- Jeff.

#29 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Interesting that everyone saw Hellas as bright--I did too, even though it was on or just past the limb at the time of my observation on the 19th.

those are the fun moments of mars observing: seeing something as brighter or darker then normal, convincing yourself you're really seeing it, putting it in the sketch. and then get confirmation by images on the cmo website or solar system forum at cn!

#30 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

Mars on March 22, 2010

After a cool day sunset brought and end to a rather breezy day. As earth continues to pull ahead of Mars the planet shrinks in the rear view mirror so to speak. As the planet grows smaller it also fades in visual magnitude and gives up it surface features only with more effort.
I don’t anticipate for me many more observations this year of this most interesting planet.

Hellas, Syrtis Major and Utopia to the North polar cap were all close to the meridian line during the time of this sketch.

Sketching:

The eyepiece sketch is the one on top in graphite pencil. The second color sketch was made indoors.
White sketching paper 8" x 11"; HB graphite pencil, blending stumps for blending orange, brown and yellow Crayola pencil shavings.
Date 3/23/2010 – Time 0:10-0:40 UT
Telescope: 10 inch f/5.7 Dobsonian and 4mm eyepiece 362 x
Temperature: 3°C (37°F)
partly cloudy, calm, dry air conditions
Transparency 3/5
Seeing: Average to Poor

Frank McCabe :)

Attached Files

#31 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Frank,

This is another fine sketch to add to your collection of observations this apparition. With Mars so small, seeing conditions really matter--despite that, you've rendered an impressive amount of detail. I can never seem to detect those low contrast variations in the northern deserts that you show in your drawing. Good work. :)

#32 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Michael,
Thanks.
I find getting the primary mirror in perfect collimination and using a single polarizing filter does wonders for Mars.
Mars is getting high enough in the late afternoon to make it a good daytime target too again with the polarizing filter ( anywhere around 90 degrees from the sun in the daytime).

#33 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Very nice mars sketch similar to view i got last night, despite on and off again seeing conditions.

#34 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

I find getting the primary mirror in perfect collimination and using a single polarizing filter does wonders for Mars.

I'll try a polarizing filter next chance--I've never used it on Mars. You're right about perfect collimation--those low contrast details are gone without it. The CAT I use is in good collimation, but I can't say that it's perfect. And it has to be done by eye--can't use a laser collimator on a CAT. I need to take the time and collimate at 500x to fine tune it. Problem is, if the seeing isn't halfway decent it's hard to get a good look at the rings. :p

#35 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Frank,

An excellent observation of Mars. You have recorded a good amount of detail. I have labeled the major albedo features visible. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Jef- An excellent observation of Mars which shows the same features as recorded by Frank. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#36 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

Carlos,

Thanks for all the work you have done labeling these sketches over these months. :thanx:

#37 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Carlos, thanks for the kind words.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics