• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Stevenage, UK

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

I'd like to get a set of the Hands On Optics wooden legs for the Vixen Porta Pro. I live in the UK, so ordering from Hands On Optics won't really be an option as I guess shipping costs would be huge. Does anyone know if there's a source in the UK for them, or another suitable alternative that's easily available in the UK?

Thanks,

Dave.

#2 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

I have been in a cave with a stone rolled in front of it for a while, what is a Porta Pro?
m2

#3 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Is there a new Vixen Porta? Maybe an HD version? oooooh.

#4 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

lol, my mistake, sorry for the confusion :). I meant the Vixen Porta, I have the older version, not the version II as seen here.

So, any idea if there's someone on the right hand side of the pond that sells suitable good quality wooden legs for the Vixen Porta mount?

Thanks,

Dave.

#5 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:45 AM

;) Wooden Legs :jump:

#6 digitaldave

digitaldave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

Yep, those are exactly the ones I've been looking at. I just need to find someone that sells them in the UK. I guess that even if Hands On Optics ship to the UK, the price would be too high once taxes had been paid :(.

#7 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

I tried a $80-90 wooden leg set from Hands-On on an original porta mount and did not notice much difference, in stability or vibrations and so took them off. Most other people say they have noticed a difference but I did not.

I recently put a PortaMount II head on a CG-5 tripod that I had, and that did make it a lot more stable. (The CG-5 tripod has a removable azimuth post that would otherwise prevent the Porta head from going on.) The original Porta Mount was not designed to be placed on another tripod, so people who want more stability for the original model have tended to change just the legs. The Porta Mount II is almost identical to the original except that it is also designed so you can easily remove the entire head and put it on a large number of tripods.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics