Just ordered an EQ2

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I've been putting together one of those Carton 60/1000 refractors that most of you have probably heard about. Being a 60mm and nearly exclusively for lunar and planetary, I figured it should have an EQ mount that's both light, an sturdy enough for a 60mm. I decided on an EQ2. they are not too easy to find.

Orion is the only one I could find that sells the mount separately. But, their offering doesn't use a dovetail for mounting a scope. Celestron sells one with their Astromaster 90mm, but besides being more money as a package, it's a little too stylized to go with a classic long tube 60mm. Finally, I found the Sky-Watcher Great start 80mm EQ2 at Adorama. It comes with a dovetail, a pretty decent looking optical tube, and a bunch of accessories for 50 bucks less than the Orion mount alone! I think it's a discontinued item, so I grabbed one.

The aluminum legs will have to be replaces with wood, but otherwise, it's just the ticket. Being for planetary at higher powers, I would like a tracking motor. Do any of you know which one would be better. Orion has one that seems to offer a greater amount of control, and Celestron has one that is much cheaper, that has sidereal as well as other tracking rates, that has to be detached to use the slow motion controls. Anybody use or have opinions on the two types?

Thanks
Joe

#2 Javier1978

Javier1978

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hi Joe,

I think it is always useful to use the mount RA clutch and be able to use the slow motion controls without detaching the tracking motor, so OrionĀ“s seems the best option for me.

Regards,

Javier.

#3 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I recently installed a Celestron motor drive on my Vixen Polaris mount. It's the little box that mounts directly to the slow-motion shaft, and does not have a hand-controller. It is so simple and works perfectly, running off an internal 9v battery. It is permanently attached, so to move to tube in RA I simply loosen the RA lock, and then tighten it once centered. The motor has a speed adjustment and I have the RA speed nailed perfectly for my mount. I love the lack of wires and hand controller. I bought it new on Ebay for $20 plus shipping.

If I'm not mistaken, the EQ2 has a clutch built-in to the mount head. It's a lever that is mounted next to that little wheel on the side.

This is like the one I'm talking about only it's for your mount - you'll notice that one buyer hated it:
http://www.buytelesc...e-for-eq-2.aspx

#4 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have an EQ2 mount that I got with my Sky-Watcher. The only motor I could track down to fit was the one from Orion. Make sure you get the EQ2 one. The pictures on the web site weren't correct. The motor mounts over a shaft on the mount, and the clutch parts are built into the mount. You can disengage the motor using the metal disk with tab that is hanging on the mount, and engage it when you are ready to track. It comes with a hand control, too, that you can use to adjust the RA with the motor.

If you need more info, I can dig it up. I also found the instructions for installing and using the part somewhere online.

#5 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. As much as I like uncluttered and simple, especially for an occasional use fun scope, I think being able to use the slow mo controls might be worth the extra $$$ for a long scope like my 60/1000. That, and the ability to use a power supply when I use it at home, leads me to choose the Orion.

Thanks again
Joe

#6 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think despite the light weight of that scope I would have opted for the EQ3 mount. Much sturdier, not too much heavier or more expensive. You can never have too much mount.

#7 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Got that covered Doug. If I'm not happy with the 2, I can always go to my CG-4 Omni mount. Just want the 2 for the "classic looks", and for down and dirty g&g. If it works well enough, I'll stick with the combination.

Joe

#8 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

It should be fine, has a 9lb capacity, and it does look more classic, doesn't it?

#9 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Mine came with a rings setup instead of a dovetail. I wanted to be able to use it for a couple of scopes, one which already had a dovetail. I ended up getting an ADM dovetail saddle for it. Anthony custom drilled the holes to fit, and shaved a bit off the clearance to accommodate the smaller dovetail of the other scope. I added a dovetail to the rings, and now all parts are interchangeable.

#10 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

In case anyone checking out this thread is interested in the Great start 80 EQ, I think I got the last one from Adorama. OPT has them on sale now for even less! Getting mine today. It really looks like a nice beginners scope for $100.00.

Joe

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

The Orion EQ2 mount is identical to the Celestron CG3 mount.

BTW, on the Orion website, when you are looking at the EQ2 mount page, they show a drive on the side of the page, the EQ-2M. That is NOT the correct drive for the EQ2 mount.

I have both the EQ2 and the CG3 and I have both the correct EQ2 Orion drive and the CG3 Celestron drive.

The corerect drive has a gear sticking out of the black motor box. That gear meshes with the large gear attached to the mount. The clutch allows you to disengage the two gears by tilting the motor box. So the clutch is useless without the correct motor.

The drive shown has a black plastic piece that slips over an axle.

edz

#12 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

OK. Now I'm confused. Which motor do I order, if not the EQ2M?

Joe

#13 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

http://www.celestron....php?ProdID=279

this is the correct motor for the EQ2/CG3

notice the small gear under the spring. That gear meshes with the large gear wheel on the EQ2 mount. The long T bolt gets locked down when in use and gets loosened when you want to use the clutch to disengage the motor. The clutch separates the two gear wheels. The spring facilitates the function of the clutch by allowing the gears to reengage when the clutch is released.

edz

take note here the difference in these two motors
the correct syle motor
http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0000XMWC6

the INCORRECT style motor
http://www.telescope...d=07827?id=cadf

#14 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

As I stated before, the picture on the Orion site is incorrect. They lump all the drives onto one page (and thus all with one picture), and you select the one you want from the drop down box. I have one that is mounted and working, so I know it is the correct one. The part description from my email invoice reads:

EQ-2M Orion Electronic Telescope Drive System #07827

I actually bought mine while the Orion sale was going on, so got it for $62 instead of $73. Also, if you poke around a bit, you might be able to find a code for free shipping on an order over $100 (if you need anything else).

#15 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

The one Edz pointed to is the one that I got from Orion using the information I gave above. I couldn't find it anywhere else, and the Celestron site didn't have it when I was looking. I sent Orion emails to confirm it was the correct drive and they assured me it was, and they were correct.

#16 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

Bummer. Guess I'll have to hunt used, or do without.

#17 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

Ironically, this is the correct picture for the EQ-2M, not the 1M as the page states:

http://www.telescope...58-096184ae0773

#18 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

PM sent. I didn't find any used.

#19 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

The OPT scope/mount looks like the same mount I have that uses fixed rings instead of a dovetail. Does the Adorama scope definitely have a dovetail?? Otherwise you'll need to do like I did and retrofit an ADM saddle to the mount.

#20 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

I swear, I saw one of the listings for the Skywatcher that said dovetail. It might have been OPT, but I can't find any of the adds that list it now. At any rate, I got the package yesterday, and it is not a dovetail. Maybe OPT corrected their print when they got it back in stock, and put it on special? Not a real big deal though. ADM will add a touch of class. The aluminum legs will have to go too, eventually, but the are a little sturdier than I thought they would be, even with the 80mm tube attached.

David,gotta go run some errands today,but will PM you about the OTA later.

Joe

#21 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Joe -

To help you out on getting a dovetail, here was my experience.

There are two ways to mount the dovetail saddle....well three. First, there appears to be a saddle that Orion or whoever makes to retrofit the mount. I found one that would give a 1/4-20 on it, but could not track down a dovetail. No one seems to carry it or know how to get it.

Second - you can mount a bar on the current bar, and attach a dovetail saddle to that. ADM and possibly ScopeStuff have that configuration.

Third - and this is what I went with. I removed the current configuration, and added an ADM saddle directly. This way the rotation point was as near to the mount as possible. However, I could not find a direct fit anywhere. In corresponding with Anthony at ADM, he had me order a saddle for a different hole pattern, and then he made custom holes to fit my mount. This worked fine, except the jaws were a bit too wide to accommodate the other dovetail I had. So I sent it back (and I think I sent the other dovetail with it for him to test with) and he shaved a bit off the inside of the jaw to make things fit. I also ordered a dovetail from him that I mounted the rings that came with the Sky-Watcher to, so now all my scopes can go on the EQ2 interchangeably.

In the end, I spent more on getting things to work than on the scope/mount, but I now have a usable solution!

I can dig up part numbers, etc., if needed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics