Wooden legs on AT Voyager?.. and other questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Has anyone tried to put these wooden legs on an AT voyager? How about the mount head on a different tripod?

Is the Vovager more stout than the Vixen Porta? Can you really put 20# on It?
Whats the heaviest load you've put on it?
:thanx:

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

I don't have any direct experience with the wooden legs but there are a few folks who discussed them ... and I believe the comments are positive.

The Voyager is a bit more versatile than the Vixen. You can orient the arm in a variety of positions (left or right, vertical or angled). 20lbs, well maybe under very controlled conditions (vertical arm, compact scope, tripod at lowest point) but I think with a totally stock setup about half that is more comfortable.

I've put almost 20lbs on the mount with the arm angled but it's on a different tripod (2" steel CG-5 with the 16" Orion SVP extension). With all that extra weight under the Voyager head and scope it works out quite well.

Here's a smaller scope on the Voyager/CG-5 mount, this scope setup weighs around 10lbs.

Attached Files

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Here's a better shot of just the Voyager mount's arm. You can see the bolts holding the arm at the bottom (round circle), this is how you change the orientation of the arm from angled to vertical.

Attached Files

#4 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:47 AM

Solid Looking.

#5 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hello, I am using an AT Voyager on a U.A. Heavy Duty tripod with custom pier.
Very solid and light. I am using an Antares 127mm/1200mm on it (20lbs) and it handles it find (is pictured in avatar).
Cheers

Attached Files

#6 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Yes, the wooden legs from Hands On will work fine under the Voyager. I found the aluminum legs were just not enough for a C6 on a wooden deck. The wooden legs made all the difference between a lot of vibration and very little.

John

#7 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

I used the voyager with the wooden legs using my Orion EON 80ED. It worked much better than the
original tripod. I later got my heavier Stellarvue ST115T, which was about 18 pounds loaded with rings,
finder and eyepiece. I used it for a few weeks on the wooden tripod and moved the voyager head to an
old CG5 tripod. It helped quite a bit but I still ended up buying a DiscMount DM-4 for a much nicer and
steadier solution. I think the weight limit depends a lot on the tripod but also on the moment of the
scope. A shorter scope could be handled better than a longer one.

#8 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

Well, not to be negative but the legs shown in the web link to Hands-On, look like the same legs set I bought from Hands-On to put on my Vixen PortaMount. They did not help vibrations much, and lessened leg damping time when rapped, at about 100x magnification by about 1/2 second. The Astro Tech Voyager is very similar to the Porta Mount. I took them off the Portamount because they didn't help vibrations that much. (Others who have used these legs have reported good results, but that was not my experience when using them on the Porta Mount.)

Also I found these wooden legs were a nuisance to change leg length on. These legs do NOT come with a single knob to turn to loosen and tighten for extending or contracting the leg length, as do most tripods. Instead they are 2 screws at the bottom of the leg. To loosen the inner leg enough to change leg length you must loosen both, and then tigten both. To do that you twirl the wing nut at one end while holding the bolt head with the other hand on the opposite side, and then do it again with the 2nd bolt. This greatly detracted from the Grab and Go convenience I wanted. I still have the legs sitting in my garage!

Now later I did buy an Astrotech Voyager, and if anything damping times were a tad longer than the Portamount. I then managed to put the Voyager head on a sturdy Oberwerk tripod, and was again disappointed that the improvement in damping time was quite modest, unless I added Celestron Vibration pads and then this rig was very stable. Why it had such an extreme improvement with vibration pads mystified me but it did. Perhaps the modest stability gain without pads was due to the way I put the voyager head on the oberwerk tripod because that required some special rigging using washers purchased piecemeal at a hardware store.

I have now gone back to using the Voyager as an occasional grab and go mount using its original tripod.

I can report that a Porta MOunt II head placed on a CG-5 works very well and is very stable, so the result should be the same with the voyager. (Be careful however using Tripods designed for GEMs as a sturdier substitute tripod for the Voyager, as some of them have non removable AZ posts that would prevent putting the Voyager mount head on.)

(I posted similar comments in another similar thread in Mounts concerning the same issue for the PortaMount just a few days ago, but since I have played with both Voyager and Portamounts on this issue I thought I would be more complete about my experiences in swapping legs and tripods with these 2 mounts)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics