Photo

What should I expect to hear from Celestron ???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hi CNer's

Prior to buying my CGEM, I read all the threads trying to get a feeling for the performance and reliability of the midsized mount. I felt it a safe gamble that I would not receive an out of the box problem child.

Well, right out of the box I got a " no response 16 (and) 17 " error message while doing a false alignment in the house the day after receiving it. I had already spread the center pin in the power connector before it came out of the packing foam. I did alot of research before buying it and really felt the alignment process and superior hand control function and data base were worth it.

I set it up loaded with ota and cw's the next night on the back patio and spent over 3 hours of excellant goto's and tracking without a hiccup or No Response message ever.

One week later, I took it to a dark sky spot and got about 25 No Response errors out of around 40 goto's. I can always get it back to " CGEM Ready " after repeatedly hitting UNDO, and it still tracks after the error message happens when it completes a goto.

It is not a power issue, I have powered it with the 110 V adapter as well as a 12 V deep cycle running at 12.9 volts. I even respread the center post to make sure. I have had the errors with both forms of power to the mount and think the battery cord with its screw in design is better than the adapter with the push in connector.

Does anyone have thoughts from their own experiance with this mount and from Celestron's tech service department.

Do I likely need a new hand control ?

Will I likely be sending the mount back ?

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Brad Geisler

Other than this fixable problem, I already really like the mount. Great piece of equipment that just needs better QC.

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get a good mount right out of the box. I think if mine had been bad I would have sent it right back to the store. Good Luck.

Notice of Edit: Let's dial back the vendor bashing a bit and try to actually help the OP here. CH

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Hello Brad,
Seriously - no question, inform your reseller, RMA the thing and get your money back. If folks don't immediately RMA broken stuff, Celestron (and others) won't ever know.

My $0.02..,

Regards,

skybsd

Notice of Edit: Implying *intent to defraud* is even worse. Let's check this attitude at the door and try to help the OP out, or just elect to stay out of the conversation. Thanks. CH

#4 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Ranger 4

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

Check to see if the firmware is at the latest rev.. I have heard that an update can fix this.

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

I replaced the power connector on my AC adapter to the screw in type and it helped a lot! Also, the hand control connector is a poor design and the cable is too short. Stretching the cable causes stress on the connector, equal errors. I'm getting my Logitech Wingman wireless together and with NexRemote on the laptop shouldn't need the HC anymore.

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Have you tried going only through a computer and using NexRemote to elimenate the Hand Controller and cable as a part of the the problem? 16 an 17 errors, sounds like you did your homework in looking them up.

Celestron will more than likely want both the controller and mount head returned for check out, after warranty care is verified. With me they offered to send a shipping label to return at no cost.

#7 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Brad,
You also will want to check out the CGEM forum over on Yahoo. There's lots of good info from other folks there and they may have a few suggestions for you to try. Last winter I had similar problem with my CGEM, getting a 17 error after the mount had been in use for about an hour. I tried a number of things, power plug, different HC, different power supply. I eventually pulled the control panel access cover and reseated the DEC / RA motor connectors to the circuit card as well as the power switch connector and the problems stopped. Don't know if this will help you but it's worth a try. There has been some discussion that opening the access cover may void the warranty but I've haven't found a definitive answer to that. Most folks think not since you'll have to pull the cover anyway to replace the backup battery. Good luck.

#8 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Did you try a factory reset?

I use this with my HC. It's great.

#9 mak7

mak7

Messenger

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

An update to my original post !!!!

I was going to try the factory reset last night, but I encountered ZERO problems by running the hand control via the AUX port connector. I did about 15+ goto's with no problems at all. I had one other night with no problems from the "regular" HC port. Now I am more confused. Tonight I'll try a factory reset and try the HC port one more time. I keep finding new things to try from reading all the posts here and on the Yahoo CGEM group.

How long has this mount been available now ?

Fred1, I am also using the extension cord, glad I bought it as the factory cord is way to short and tugs at the connection. Great aftermarket accessory !!! Hats off to Jim at Scopestuff.

My HC is version GEM 4.16 and the MC is version 6.08 6.08. The Celstron website lists an update version for each, but it does not coincide with these version referances. I can't tell if I'm current out of the box or not.

Thanks for the input from everyone, please keep it coming.
Brad

#10 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

The Aux and HC connector sockets are essentially the same.

The short HC cable isn't all bad news, there's a post on one of the Celestron groups from somebody who fitted an extension cable. When the HC fell off the mount it hit the ground and broke. With the standard cable it doesn't reach the ground when it falls off.

Sticky backed velcro works really well for holding the HC down anywhere convenient.

Chris

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hello Brad,
Seriously - no question, inform your reseller, RMA the thing and get your money back. If folks don't immediately RMA broken stuff, Celestron (and others) won't ever know.

My $0.02..,

Regards,

skybsd

Notice of Edit: Implying *intent to defraud* is even worse. Let's check this attitude at the door and try to help the OP out, or just elect to stay out of the conversation. Thanks. CH

There are several consideratons here. One of which...which has nothing to do with vendor bashing, that when something's wrong out of the box, it SHOULD go back to the vendor, whoever that is. If you bought a defective out-of-the-box TV at BestBuy, would you send it to Panasonic for repair? I'm guessing that the answer is no, but that's what goes on a lot in astro-gear biz.

'Round here, if somethin's bad, it does back to where I bought it for an exchange. I have yet to run into a dealer that resented that. The consideration sometimes is "Well, we don't have any more in stock, it will be months." Then it is a judgment call, refund or deal with Celestron/Meade/whomever.

Nota Bene: I have little doubt Celestron will take care of the original poster. I've been dealing with them for 30 years, and they've always left me happy. Even if that has sometimes taken a _little_ while. :lol:

#12 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Sometimes they need a slight nudge. When my HC quit on the second night they wanted me to send the HC and mount to them and wait 6 weeks. I told them I would just ship the whole setup, mount and ota, back to the vendor as defective instead. They sent me a new HC within a week.

#13 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

Maybe one of the pins on the port is messed up or bent in a little bit? I've had very few problems with my CGEM.

Maybe try reprogramming the hand controller as well as the motor controllers. Intermittent problems sure can be a pain! Hope you get it tracked down.

Jared

#14 mak7

mak7

Messenger

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Another update:

After reading all the info I can find and the thoughts from you great CNer's, I tried running the HC in the AUX port the night before last. The mount ran perfectly with never a glich.

I had thought about asking the vendor for a swap or return, but since I received it on 3/23 and have been attempting to get it to work ever since on my own, that seems out of line to me at this point.

I finally got an email from Celestron tech support this afternoon after sending my email to them Friday morning. I guess I am probably stuck with warranty repair at this point. I may try to nudge them if they want me to pay the freight.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions,

Brad

#15 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:58 AM

Hello Brad,
Keep in mind that the mount is still under 30-days in your possession, okay?

Glad to know that you have options at this point.

Hoping it works out one way or another for you, buddy.

Regards,

skybsd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics