• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeNC

GeorgeNC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the Sky, North Carolina

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

I still have version 4.12 on my CGE - I've been using it for a couple of years and it's served me well. Lately I've gotten the dreaded "No Response 16 (and 17)" messages. I've changed the cables - I had aftermarket cables and have switched back to the original equipment cables - I thought that worked, but the message reappeared. Thought I'd upgrade the firmware and see if that helps. I will upgrade the HC firmware and then the MC firmware.

My question. Do I need to upgrade from 4.12 to 4.13 then to 4.15, or will just upgrading directly to 4.15 cover the in-between versions? (I don't see any need to go to 4.16, but if anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd appreciate hearing them.)

Thanks

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

George, No, you can jump to whatever level you want, each firmware level is a complete release.

The "no response" errors are a basic catch all when the hand controller (HC) can't talk to either of the motor controllers (MC). The MCs are in the pier and they connect to the motors and encoders over those external cables. When the external cables or connectors go bad it's usually (but not always) runaway slews that show up, not the no response errors.

The first area to look at is power, check all the connections and make doubly certain that you're using a known good power source with enough amperage, and better yet use a known good alternate power supply. Maybe plug the HC into one of the Aux ports, and have a good look at the little RJ connector on the end. Then I'd take a peak inside the pier at all the connections, especially around the MCs. The schematics for the mount are in the files section on the Yahoo/groups CGE uncensored forum.

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'd just add that tthe errors can also appear if the electronics pier has problems with the comm's with the motors in the Ra and Dec housings. Another tack to try is using a PC to connect through ASCOM/NexRemote just to half split between hand control and electronics pier.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics