Photo

Gold Mtn Observatory

• Please log in to reply
784 replies to this topic

#776 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

I was able to be available to show a large group of people(Over the long weekend) who had never looked through a telescope before...some great times at my Observing Center and specifically through my large refractor. Nothing lifts my heart more when it comes to my hobby..when I can lead folks to the wonders of the heavens, who have never looked through a telescope before. Fun times and fantastic emotions to see the faces of people seeing Saturn or the moon for the first time.

The crowd was simply amazed to see a telescope someone made themselves..and to look through several other scopes as well.

Having a large Observatory(any observatory for that matter) really sets the stage for education and promotion for astronomy and related hobbies.

What a great time...

Rob

#777 Ecurb

Ecurb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kirkwood, California

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hi Rob,

Now that the motorized roll-off roof is all working, did you find a new use for the ships wheel? I always thought that was a neat addition to the observatory. You really should have it do something, like: raise a flag up the flag pole, ring a bell (ring when somebody at the eyepiece says "ahhhh, wow"), move a sun shade for daytime open-roof use, etc.

Bruce

#778 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi Rob,

Now that the motorized roll-off roof is all working, did you find a new use for the ships wheel? I always thought that was a neat addition to the observatory. You really should have it do something, like: raise a flag up the flag pole, ring a bell (ring when somebody at the eyepiece says "ahhhh, wow"), move a sun shade for daytime open-roof use, etc.

Bruce

Hmm...I haven't given it much thought as of late..but I should. You bring up some good ideas.

My OB is generally pretty basic...no carpet..no sheet rock..no warm room(it doesn't get that cold enough here for one of those)...just bear wood...that is one reason I like the ship theme...and it goes so well.

I loved the shipwheel when I used it..I just love sitting back and watching the roof run out all on its own now...and I can monitor things better now as well as the roof runs out. I have a pretty tight fit with the counterweights being only inches from the rafters as well as the 5" spotter on one end and the objective flange on the other end. It's pleanty of room but from the ground it doesn't look like it...oh probably about 2.5" of clearance on all 3 spots. So you can see why I wanted to make the electric drive change.....

I'll do something with the ship wheel...it still matches the decor..so its cool( but a function would be cooler)

Thanks for reminding me and giving me suggestions.

Rob

#779 opticsguy

opticsguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

hello, trying to work my way through all these postings!!! Great job on your OB and scope. I am in the exact place you were when you started, a scope and no observatory. So, now in the initial thinking/design stage. My observatory would measure 20x20 with 10' walls with ROR. What did you use to design your trusses? Off the shelf or engineered or?

#780 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

hello, trying to work my way through all these postings!!! Great job on your OB and scope. I am in the exact place you were when you started, a scope and no observatory. So, now in the initial thinking/design stage. My observatory would measure 20x20 with 10' walls with ROR. What did you use to design your trusses? Off the shelf or engineered or?

Welcome Opticsguy.

First. I thought it out real long and wanted to save loads of money and wanted to do it myself(to do so)....As you noticed my pier is 8ft tall so the 8ft tall walls. I also needed to use dimentional lumber..so I didn't want lots of extra material I had to cut off..as you know 4x8 sheets of siding can be cut to fit an 18ft building exactly...with no left overs. Same with the studs. What I did was call a local truss engineer and had him email me the exact schematical drawings for the trusses I wanted...then I simply built them off his drawings. I didn't use the steal presses for the joints(same money) so I cut and nailed on all the joint bracing. Because the building was tall and I had a central pier to use as a scafolding base, I built my truses in place(again to save on the delivery fee)...and since my trusses are built in place, I could use a ridge cap...cuz I alwa wanted to avoid plywood sheath and 3 tab roofing(save more money and weight).

I can help you with any designs or ideas if they are found to be acceptable, just let me know.

Good luck in your design and build.

Rob

#781 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I love this thread, its in my favorites list, yeah I love the looks of the observatory, but love all the pines.
Sort of a christmasy feel.
Thats one awesome telescope.

#782 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Welcome Opticsguy.

First. I thought it out real long and wanted to save loads of money and wanted to do it myself(to do so)....As you noticed my pier is 8ft tall so the 8ft tall walls. I also needed to use dimentional lumber..so I didn't want lots of extra material I had to cut off..as you know 4x8 sheets of siding can be cut to fit an 18ft building exactly...with no left overs. Same with the studs. What I did was call a local truss engineer and had him email me the exact schematical drawings for the trusses I wanted...then I simply built them off his drawings. I didn't use the steal presses for the joints(same money) so I cut and nailed on all the joint bracing. Because the building was tall and I had a central pier to use as a scafolding base, I built my truses in place(again to save on the delivery fee)...and since my trusses are built in place, I could use a ridge cap...cuz I alwa wanted to avoid plywood sheath and 3 tab roofing(save more money and weight).

I can help you with any designs or ideas if they are found to be acceptable, just let me know.

Rob

:lol:Pretty slick "using" of the truss engineer there Rob. Could we make our own dentures and save too? :roflmao: Mike P.S. C'mon pal I couldn't resist.

#783 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Welcome Opticsguy.

Rob

:lol:Pretty slick "using" of the truss engineer there Rob. Could we make our own dentures and save too? :roflmao: Mike P.S. C'mon pal I couldn't resist.

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes.

#784 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes. Now that's what I call customer service!! :waytogo: Mike

#785 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes. Now that's what I call customer service!! :waytogo: Mike

Hey.....I never want to get in the way of any man wanting to try his hand at making stuff.......

But when he goes astray because his vocation involves wood and carpet..I tend to come to his aid (To fix stuff) in a hurry...... :grin:

Rob(free to let folks ruin stuff I can fix)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics