CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, April 16th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

After some cloudy weeks I had the chance to see the Red Planet again. At a first glance it was hard to see any detail at all. Only in moments of very stable seeing I could detect features. Eye floaters were very disturbing.

Relatively easy to see is the polar cap wit its seam. Next I saw was a color difference between p an f edge. May be this is an effect of oblique light. The dark areas at the following half of the planet I saw only after a long time (~15 minutes) observing.

Attached Files

#2 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

I am assuming that Mars is now showing a gibbous phase since we have passed opposition. Is that correct? Any way this is a real good drawing. I have enjoyed your work on Mars this year.

I also notice that Jef De Wit is showing Mars in a gibbous phase too. Very interesting.

Buddy

#3 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

impressive sketch with lots of details!

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Mars. You recorded a good amount of detail over Mars at a relatively small diameter. I believe that you may have reversed the preceding and following directions from the albedo features recorded. I have labeled the major albedo features noted. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Uwe,

It is wonderful to see you remaining with Mars. :cool: Excellent sketch and Carlos as always thanks for the labels so we know where we are. :bow: :bow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Gemini

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

Uwe
Again a nice Mars with a lot of detail. Your sketches of the Red Planet kept me inspired to observe Mars even when he's small.

#7 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:23 AM

Uwe, nice drawing, well done.

I tried too but seeing was terrible, will try again tonight ....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics