Photo

I just got mine, too! (Yet another AP1200 owner)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

UPS just delivered my baby this evening. I only had time to set up the AP Portable pier, 1200RPA, support bar and two accessory trays, and RA/DEC assembly halves. The scope you see at middle bottom is the 14" LX200R that will be mounted on it along with an NP127is and a load of AP gear. All to be housed in the SkyShed POD in the backyard...

Now, it's time to study for a final I have tomorrow. :p

More to come!

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#2 malachykidd

malachykidd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA, USA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

That's a spankin' nice mount, Wireless. I'm envious. Very, very envious... I curse you to a week of cloudy skies! :cloudy:

:lol:

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

Hello,
Fantastic mount!

You're in for a lot of fun, exciting next few years with a mount of that class!

Congratulations!

Regards,

skybsd

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

Now that's a nice piece of hardware!

David

#5 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:00 AM

What a beautiful mount. Congratulations!

Chuck

#6 Joselo

Joselo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

congratulations..... I received mine about a week ago...

#7 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

That is a beauty all right! :bow:
Blueman

#8 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks all for your congratulatories! :)

And, yes, the curse lives on! That day after receiving the mount, the clouds started to roll in! :cloudy: (I need to install some amenities in the observatory anyways the next few days before getting the mount in there...)

Here's another pic with the DOVELM162 installed with the 14" LX200R OTA on it (all balanced) with the CW assembly, controller, power supply, and PASILL4. The RA balance was between 2 fully-extended 18-pounders and an added third 18-pounder least-extended. I may need to get another CW to accomodate the NP127is and all the astrogear I'll be adding...

Man, I love how smooth this mount moves! Everything about it screams PRECISION! Initial tests have been successful...

I am waiting for another Losmandy-type dovetail for the top of the LX200R to mount the NP127is.

More to come...

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

Thanks all for your congratulatories! :)

And, yes, the curse lives on! That day after receiving the mount, the clouds started to roll in! :cloudy: (I need to install some amenities in the observatory anyways the next few days before getting the mount in there...)

Here's another pic with the DOVELM162 installed with the 14" LX200R OTA on it (all balanced) with the CW assembly, controller, power supply, and PASILL4. The RA balance was between 2 fully-extended 18-pounders and an added third 18-pounder least-extended. I may need to get another CW to accomodate the NP127is and all the astrogear I'll be adding...

Man, I love how smooth this mount moves! Everything about it screams PRECISION! Initial tests have been successful...

I am waiting for another Losmandy-type dovetail for the top of the LX200R to mount the NP127is.

More to come...

Clear skies!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks terrific on the big mount!!

David

#10 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

Looks nice.

MIght I make a small suggestion? Use the little hand strap to hang the controller off either of the 3 locking knobs. (E_W_S) No need in dropping a $1K accessory, yes? :tonofbricks:

#11 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I had already started to do that late last night. Thanks for the suggestion...

I guess that's why it's good to familiarize yourself with a new mount by taking the time to do so! ;)

Clear skies!

#12 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Further testing... This time with a totally wireless connection to the mount via encrypted WiFi using Silex Technology's SX-2000WG+ USB 2.0 server (located just left of the scope in the cam pic).

After slewing around a bit and monitoring the mount via my garage security camera (also WiFi-connected), I have to say that all works well with MaxIm DL 5.08/latest ASCOM drivers and Silex connectivity software running on the Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) over the home WiFi.

If you are thinking of the Silex route on Windows 7, make sure you get the latest firmware and drivers...

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#13 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

skybsd

#14 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

Gorgeous. Your polar axis is way too low though for my taste : )

#15 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

Gorgeous. Your polar axis is way too low though for my taste : )

:roflmao: :coldday:

#16 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Right now, I am prepping the POD with matted flooring which requires the disassembly of the POD itself. (What was I thinking in just using the concrete as the flooring?!) The matting is water- and mildew-proof and will provide a nice added protection from the elements and hopefully seal the POD base from any water...

Clear skies!

#17 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Gorgeous! Congrats! You'll love it!

Question: how tall is your pier?

Eric

#18 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

The pier is 32"...

Here's a picture of it in the POD. I had to take the POD all apart to lay down the 8' x 8' matting under it. Now, I'm putting it all back together. Made sure the mount and pier made it in there before putting the door assmebly on...

More to come!

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#19 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

Oooo, really nice!

Thanks for the info on the pier height. I have a 42" pier, and I thought those nifty EP tables were only available for 48" and higher piers. Your setup proves otherwise!

I also have similar matting (I'm presuming it's those interlocking tiles) in my obs. Saved quite a few pieces of equipment as they bounced rather than smashed into concrete!

What's under those tiles? I was concerned about possible "springiness" of the mount with those tiles (if they're the same foam tiles as mine), so I cut holes in them so the feet rest on my concrete pad. Something to consider, anyway.

Eric

#20 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Well... Tonight is first light for the AP1200GTO. I decided to start with my NP127is to get acquainted with the mount. This is the scope I plan to put atop the 14" LX200R once I get the top dovetail for it.

It'll be a clear night! :)

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#21 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

I had posted a question in the observatory forum whether a POD could house an ap1200 and a big sct (eventually my deforked 12" rcx!!)

looks like you answered my question :)

#22 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

What's under those tiles? I was concerned about possible "springiness" of the mount with those tiles (if they're the same foam tiles as mine), so I cut holes in them so the feet rest on my concrete pad. Something to consider, anyway.

Yes! They are the interlocking tiles. Bought them at Costco for $12 (package of eight 2x2 tiles...) I used 16 tiles to cover the 8' x 8' area.

I don't have anything under the tiles. The weight of the obs keeps it in place with the added weight of the insulating material filling the walls and primary dome. After I make sure the obs is circularized nicely, I will anchor the six points around the base with concrete taps...

Also, the "springiness" doesn't seem to bother the mount/pier. While performing polar alignment with PEMPro2 last night, I was able walk around without seeing any glitches on the tracking data. I guess the contact points on the legs are providing enough force to overcome any variable gaps within the flooring material.

Clear skies!

#23 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

As expected, the AP1200GTO was a DREAM to polar align! There's no sloppiness whatsoever in the alt and az adjustments. Once I did some coarse polar alignment using only the Televue Starbeam (never used the PASILL4), PEMPro2 showed that I was no more than 30 arc-minutes off NCP. Zeroing-in on the NCP was effortless and took only an hour or two with PEMPro2.

I guess what stands out in the whole process is how solid the mount/pier is. There's no comparison to my RCX400 setup on an Ultrawedge with Mitty Industries enhancements! Polar aligning that setup was such an tedious task due to the "wobbliness" of the entire system, and the adjustments weren't nearly as fine...

With the little time I had left that evening, I decided to see how the mount performed in tracking (without PEC). WOW! Tracking was no more than 3 arc-seconds peak-to-peak per cycle!!! Realizing that I was not loading much on the mount, I look forward in getting about 100 lbs of gear on it and re-checking its tracking and applying the PEC...

Finally, I decided to do a 300-second quickie unguided image of M101. GREAT! The guiding gear will not have to work so much in keeping the exposures dead-on! :)

More to come!

Clear skies!!!

#24 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

Stunning!! Looks like a fantastic setup. Long may you enjoy it :)

#25 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:11 PM

I had posted a question in the observatory forum whether a POD could house an ap1200 and a big sct (eventually my deforked 12" rcx!!)

looks like you answered my question :)

I'm glad the pictures helped! I will be showing a picture of the 14" LX200R + NP127is + all the imaging gear on the mount once I get all the pieces together...

Clear skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics