• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 meanstreets

meanstreets

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the TMB Planetary II's and the previous version. Is it just cosmetic or changes in the body, or is the glass different?

#2 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy Midwest

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

There was a thread on this a while back. I have some of the older version but have never tried the newer ones.

#3 jliechty786

jliechty786

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chattanooga TN

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

The first version was not baffled properly. Tom Back had very specific requirements for this eyepiece but the manufacturing company decided to omit the baffle and lengthen the tube to compensate - this was to save money. This lack of internal baffling caused light scatter in the eyepiece. Tom Back was not happy At all so he made the manufacturing company correct it, thus we have the TMB Planetary II. the second version is the correction whereas the original version was the problem version. The defference in cosmetics is to destinguish the two models.
Hope this helps!

#4 meanstreets

meanstreets

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, I really like my 7mm (first version), and now I'm thinking of getting a 5mm to go with it now that they are on sale.

#5 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Wait a minute...

I'm really glad you asked this question, as I was getting ready to do the same.

The first versions had 16mm of eye relief, and the new versions only 12. I think that might be the difference between being able to use them with my glasses and not.

Can anyone speak to the eye relief change?

This is not just a matter of baffling. I have the old 7mm and would like get the 9, but not if I can't use it with my glasses.

-brian

#6 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

• Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

The first version was not baffled properly. Tom Back had very specific requirements for this eyepiece but the manufacturing company decided to omit the baffle and lengthen the tube to compensate - this was to save money. This lack of internal baffling caused light scatter in the eyepiece. Tom Back was not happy At all so he made the manufacturing company correct it, thus we have the TMB Planetary II. the second version is the correction whereas the original version was the problem version. The defference in cosmetics is to destinguish the two models.
Hope this helps!

Can you tell us where you got this information? The last word from Astronomics, on this site, was no difference at all between TMB Planetary and TMB Planetary II, other than cosmetic differences requested by Thomas Back's family, since his passing.

Now, the Burgess/TMB Planetary, which came out before the TMB Planetary series, had a prototype 6mm eyepiece which had a shiny retaining ring. Burgess offered a free replacement. Is that what you are referring too ?

#7 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Compare the specs on the Burgess site with those on Astronomics. I purchased from Burgess, back in the day, so I have the older version. Astronomics is now carrying the current "type II" eyepieces, and quote 12mm of eye relief.

Hence my confusion.

Burgess specs page: http://www.burgessop...Ps/EPSpecs.html
Astronomics page: http://www.astronomi...oduct_id/TMBP09

-brian

#8 sailor70623

sailor70623

Gemini

• Loc: Ok.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

I had the Astronomics version, the whole set. I gave them to my grand daughter. I found the views to be better and the eyerelief longer on the Zhumell Zs. When you want to put up with tight ER, then you can't beat the UO Abbe Orthos. Great views, and a good price.

#9 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

The only Type II I am aware of is the 6mm.

It has the correctly radiused eye lens, conically shaped & baffled retaining ring which not a ring, and the entire interior was bead blasted for reduced reflections. It has an all black exterior.

I am not sure if the other focal lengths have all those features though they all might have just an all back exterior.

Buried in this forum is a thread about the 6mm Type II containing side by side comparison and interior photos I took when I wrote up a detailed comparison between the Type II and the original with revised retaining ring installed.

Best,

#10 jliechty786

jliechty786

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chattanooga TN

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

i have two sources. this CN report and bill burgess himself. Mr. Burgess was the guest speaker at my clubs meeting a few months ago, he covered this when he showed us the planetary II. all info was consistent, you'll find that from reading the report, that both Burgess and Tom Back cover this.

http://www.cloudynig.../Burgesstmb.pdf

#11 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

i have two sources. this CN report and bill burgess himself. Mr. Burgess was the guest speaker at my clubs meeting a few months ago, he covered this when he showed us the planetary II. all info was consistent, you'll find that from reading the report, that both Burgess and Tom Back cover this.

http://www.cloudynig.../Burgesstmb.pdf

Right, that report is from 2005, discussing the TMB/Burgess Planetary, which is different from several iterations of the TMB Planetary I and now the TMB Planetary II (no burgess involvement). It reviews the initial run's problem with the retaining ring I mentioned. Nothing to do with baffling. The rings were later supplied by burgess, for the TMB/Burgess series. This is what I stated in my earlier post.

If you review Burgess website, located here, you will see Bill mentions he sold the TMB/Burgess version, silver bottom, which he lists as "sold out", and in the 6mm he lists "Version 2", since the original garage sale version had the initial flaring/retaining ring issue.

Bill Burgess is trying to now sell the TMB Planetary II series, as a vendor, according to his website's availability listing.

To my knowledge Bill has nothing to do with the latest variations, nor has any special knowledge of them.

Also, Thomas Back passed away nearly three years ago in 2007. I'm not sure how he can cover this now with Bill Burgess ?

Additionally, TMB Optical's website states, regarding the TMb Planetary II "These TMB Optical® Planetary eyepieces are the only Planetary Series eyepieces authorized by the estate of the late Thomas M. Back.". You can read that on this link.

Can you share what did Bill Burgess tell your group ?

#12 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

The truth may never be known.
I have 5 types of those eyepieces.

2.5mm - TMB Optical Planetary, black barrel, purple/green coatings

4.0mm - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel, purple/green coatings

6.0 - TMB Optical Planetary II, black barrel, purplish coating, reflections noticelably dimmer than others

7.0mm - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel, purple/green coatings

9.0 - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel. purple/ green

The silver barrels I believe were the Interim versions that I recieved. They were between the originals and the planetary II's, with original problems fixed.

#13 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

I just received the last 8mm clone of TMB Planetary at Teton Telescopes for a nice price. Why is the 8mm not offered anywhere even though at one time Burgess Optical sold it. I will try it out tonight-weather permits. It has the same 58-degree FOV-multicoated and chrome barrel as the earlier model,but with the O-ring corrections.

Jim

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

FWIW I have the newer 5 & 7 mm TMB type II and the eye relief is very much longer than 12mm. With the rubber folded down I can easily see the entire field wearing my glasses. I would put it at closer to 20 mm, perhaps even more.

It's been my understanding from several forum posts that the newer all-black TMB's were an improvement over the silver barrel TMB's.

#15 Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the report SteveG! I'm a big fan of long ER. These EP's are a real steal.

#16 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

It's been my understanding from several forum posts that the newer all-black TMB's were an improvement over the silver barrel TMB's.

I believe that is true but there are several iterations of silver barrel and black now. The switch to TMB II from the last iteration before it is noted here:

Look at post from Astronomics

#17 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, Steve, that's the tidbit I was looking for.

-brian

#18 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

I finally had clear skies that was steady and the 8mm Planetary did quite well in my 80mm f/11.4 refractor. Although it gives me only 114x,this eyepiece provided sharp views of the Moon,Mars,Saturn and double stars. I always like using 3 or 4 element eyepieces,but never liked the short eye relief they provide at high powers. The 8mm provides a 58-degree FOV and ample eye relief. This is a nice eyepiece and at over 53 years of observing it will keep me visiting my friends-in the heavens above.

Jim

#19 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

The truth may never be known.
I have 5 types of those eyepieces.

2.5mm - TMB Optical Planetary, black barrel, purple/green coatings

4.0mm - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel, purple/green coatings

6.0 - TMB Optical Planetary II, black barrel, purplish coating, reflections noticelably dimmer than others

7.0mm - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel, purple/green coatings

9.0 - Burgess/TMB Planetary Series, silver barrel. purple/ green

The silver barrels I believe were the Interim versions that I recieved. They were between the originals and the planetary II's, with original problems fixed.

I think you have most of the variations. The TMB/Burgess are the originals, actually the 6mm came first with the rest later released.

The black barrel 2.5 is basically, for lack of a better description, a TMB Planetary I. There was still some confusion/association with Burgess (I think) and the estate of Thomas Back requested the TMB Planetary II, according to Astronomics post I linked to, no changes other than cosmetic.

There has been some quality control issues over the years, some good samples, some duds. The 8mm TMB Optical (TMb Planetary I) that I picked up last summer has been performing really well. The silver barrel versions I had, maybe 3-4 samples, were hit and miss for me.

#20 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Funny though, the 8 mm appears to be no longer available.

#21 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

I didn't mention earlier that this 8mm Planetary reads in white lettering UWA 8mm 58-Degrees. On the box it says WA Plossl 8mm. This was purchased at Teton Telescopes in Idaho and they have numberous scopes including Russian made. Very interesting unique site. This was the last 8mm there and the owner Mark says he will be selling more Planetary eyepieces soon.

#22 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Let me confirm that the TMB Planetary II's have the same eye relief as the TMB/BO Planetary I's.

We just got our 9mm to complement the 7mm. We bought the 7mm in Feb, 2008.

Astronomics must quote useful eye relief. At any event, it's the same, and quite adequate for eyeglass wearers like myself.

-brian

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics