Photo

What kind of red light source are you using?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

I was reading another post that mentioned red light and that made me wonder what is being used now days. What I used in The Old Days was literally a small red bulb. It was too bright, so I shielded it with a clay pot, so that all the light was falling down onto the paper surface and none was hitting my eyes directly. These Days I have several LED lights that I have not used much yet. (Hah! I still have a little LED light that an enterprising observer was making by *hand* and selling. It has a flexible stalk, a flat base and you can adjust the brightness and the length of time it's lit when the on button is pressed. Practically an antique now - but it still works!!! The LED is bare, though and I think I need to put a shield on it to keep the light out of my eyes.)

So what are you guys using to illuminate your paper?

#2 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

Here's my head light with all of my sketching equipment. The red LED is a bit too bright but I keep my observing eye closed at all times except when looking down the eye piece so it don't matter.

Posted Image

http://www.kolumbus....g_equipment.jpg

/Jake

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

Jan,

Tuesday night, over at my blog I posted what I do for red light viewing. Also, Andrew from the Darkviewer.com blog posted how he modified a lamp in the comments section and I posted a link to what Jeremy Perez did so I invite you to look. I don't want to re-post it all here.

I agree with Jake, keep your observing eye closed, or if your like me, I use a patch.

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Walmart carries a camou strap little LED head light in the sport section that is less than 20 dollars....red leds with decent dispersion are the first click but the other 3 are combinations of white. However, it is light, convenient, runs for ever, and I learn to keep my eyes closed for 3 clicks (going past the white settings) to turn it off in the dark. Strap works around my neck and can be rotated to illuminate the paper while my head stays in the dark on the scope, or you can where it (of course) around your head (I do sometime)...good bang for the buck.

#5 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

I use a red LED flashlight with several layers of red felt over the light to dim it. I also use a reading light that clips onto the book, I painted it red and wrapped it in felt to make it suitable.

I can't sketch with one eye closed, the pencil always ends up everywhere except where I want it to go.

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

Walmart also sells a headlamp that has a switch, left turns on the red, right turns on the white light. I used red fingernail polish and darkened the red. Roland is right, they last forever. Mine use 3 AAA batteries.

#7 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

I use a tip that I read here somewhere. I have a clip on reading light on a gooseneck, and I've put 2 layers of kid's red party balloons over the light.

The light, itself, has 2 levels of brightness, so the balloons work great. And they even eliminate that "bullseye" effect that you get from lights on your paper.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics