Quick Easy Mount for C9.25

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Not sure if there is an easy answer to my question but thought I would ask just in case. I have a wonderful C9.25 OTA. I have been using this on a CG5 mount. Unfortunately, this set up is not working great for me for two reasons. One, I cannot see polar north from my house thus making polar alignment more difficult. Two, new family obligations (which I cherish) limited my view times to one to two hours max at a time. I would like to continue observing on a limited basis so finding an easier set up option would be great.

I would love to find a quick set up option that can handle the C9.25 OTA. Does anyone know of such an option? I am a visual user only so an Alt-Azimuth mount would be just fine. I’ve been looking at the iOptron Mini Pro. Alas, this is a fairly expense option but if it works well, it’s something I would consider. At some price point, I’d be tempted to sell what I have and go for something like a Celestron CPC or perhaps even a 8” Meade LS.

Any thoughts as to what mount options I might want to consider? Any and all feedback is MOST appreciated.

Thanks! Steve S

#2 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

I deforked my C92.5 ota from a broken CPC mount. I have tried it on my DM-4 mount
and a Voyager on top of a CG-5 tripod with extension. Both are pretty easy to use. I can
pick up the scope on the mount/tripod and move it around the yard without problems.
You can pick up a use voyager pretty cheap. The new ones are on sale now with a NEAF
special price. You will need to use you CG5 tripod to make it steady enough. The C925 is
about 20 pounds which is pushing the limits of the voyager, but the weight is very close
to the back of the scope which is pretty short. The damping time isn't too bad.

#3 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

I have a C9.25 mounted on a "Universal Astronomics" Alt/Az mount. It works out pretty nice. They come up for sale here and on Astromart.
http://www.universalastronomics.com/

#4 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

I also mounted a C925 on a UA UniStar Deluxe mount that attached to a UA heavy duty wooden surveyor tripod. Very stable, fast set up/take down and easy to use.

Bill

#5 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

Great feedback! Thanks! I was unaware of the UA mounts. These look like very interesting options. I will watch the classifieds to see if one of these shows up.

I noticed that the iOptron Mini has a listed weight capacity of 25 lbs AND that these are on sale right now. Does anyone have any thoughts (good, bad or indifferent) about the C9.25 on the iOptron Mini?

Thanks! Steve S

#6 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

After doing a fair amount of research, I decided to give the iOptron Minitower a try. Thought about getting the Minitower Pro but the price difference was significant and it appears that others have had good success with the Minitower and a C9.25.

Got the Minitower last night and, of course, clouds rolled in.:bawling:

Looking forward to giving this set up a try as soon as the cloud cover breaks. :cloudy:

#7 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hello Stephen,
Congrats on the new mount :waytogo:

Do let us know how you get on with it, once the weather forgives you :)

Regards,

skybsd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics