Mars 23/04 sketch

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hi, i made 2 sketches 2 hours apart under good and average seeing conditions yesterday evening. the first sketch was done at 21h00 local time using a level with angle indicator to point the dob at 58° and then scan the sky horizontally to find Mars in the blue sky. i was surprised to find it back after less than a minute at 60x!

the first sketch shows hellas as rather dull with some brighter and darker spots in the desserts, but the second sketch is less detailed, but hellas was clearly very bright. also the pole cap seemed larger at 22h00 UT.

Posted Image

#2 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

I noticed before your sketching technique and absolutely love it. Very realistic, and great details on a small disk.

Ivano

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Kris,

Look at you, still doing the great Mars sketches. These are among your very best. Your sketches are rich in detail. Just like observing Venus, you can easily find Mars in the daytime and it is far enough away from the sun you don't need to take the precautions that are needed when observing Venus in the daytime. Kris this is a great post! :bow:

Frank :)

#4 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Excellent!

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Kris, a very nice double. I was observing Mars at the same time than you and had a similar view than your second sketch.
I found it difficult to see detail yesterday. Filters didn't help this time (except the apodizing mask). Syrtis Major, Hellas and the polar cap were visible at the (rare) moments of better seeing. I "felt" Utopia but couldn't put it on paper. I scanned my field "sketch" (because I didn't make a finished sketch inside).
After Mars I turned to Saturn. But this story will be told in another post.

Attached Files

#6 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

Kris, I'd also like to know whether you used pencils or pastels. And, how long does it takes for you to complete a drawing?

Ivano

#7 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

Great drawings Kris. Well done - it's a tough object now.

#8 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hallo Kris,

great sketches of Mars,very realistic with many details.

CS

Markus

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Great Mara sketches, cool idea to try it in daylight, thanks for posting.

#10 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

:thanx: guys, but it was not my idea observing mars in daylight, it was Frank and others who brought it to my attention!

i've missed your mars sketches Sol.

ivano, all the sketches i make are done using pencils. when mars is bigger it takes more time to record and put the details on paper, and then redo the sketch indoors. under average conditions it takes about 20 minutes to observe mars whilst making a rough sketch. making the final sketch takes less time. when seeing is very good, with a big mars and lots of interesting details i can spend an hour outside recording details, with the disadvantage of a noticeable rotation of features on the disk. that doesn't happen too often though ;)

#11 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

at the time i made the last sketch i also toyed around a bit trying to take a picture of mars thru the dob. not easy, but you can see a hint of the small polar cap, and if you look closely, you see syrtis major with the dull greyish Hellas above it.

i don't know where to post these 'pictures' but i don't think they're worthy for the imaging forum :grin: and i'm also not aspiring photography, so i figured i'd post them here with fellow sketchers!

Posted Image

and 3 pictures of saturn taking a few years apart taken through my 8 & 12" dobs (last picture) showing the changing opening of the rings.

Posted Image

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

Kris,
Good sketches! You're really making that 8" newt earn its keep.

#13 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

Kris,

I'll comment about your snap shots. They are actually pretty good considering they are hand held shots made with a camera that is not a dedicated astro camera. If you could have posted them in the 1970's folks would have thought you were an astrophotographer of the best kind.
I know you well enough to know that sketching will always be your passion.

Frank :)

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

Kris,

Excellent observations of Mars and images of the planets. You have recorded an impressive amount of detail over Mars at a relatively small angular diameter (7.7"). Fine detail is indicated within the region south of Syrtis Major (Ausonia/Mare Tyrrhenum/Iapygia Viridis). Hellas is very bright in the second observation. The images of the planets are very nice as well. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#15 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

Kris,
Lovely sketch of Mars. :bow: Really great pictures of Mars and Saturn. Great job! I tried taking a picture of Jupiter one time, using my Kodak DX6340, through the EP, it didn't turn out. Your sketches are great to look at along with everyone's elses.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics