NGC 2261 and 2683 -- Part II of a Series

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

On our site (address below the signature) I have added a new inspiration story/sketch that includes sketches of NGC 2683 and 2261. Go to the inspiration page for the summary and it has a link to the sketch then story. Or go to News and first sentence has the link also.

It was one of those wonderful nights where equipment worked, the go-to functioned properly, and it was clear enough to use astro video on a 12.5 Dob. So I was even able to get a little color on 2261 as well as some of the prominent structure. 2683 was pretty also.

During my first couple years I had real trouble sketching on larger paper but after some help from seasoned sketchers and some trial and error, I am getting better at using 9x12 rather than 6x9. I have tried a couple things with my wife at 2 feet by 3 feet. Bottom line: bigger is better if I have the room and layout to do it. It took me awhile to get to this point, but does seem to work better. So for anyone out there that has only stayed with small sketch areas, try some larger stuff once in a while. It's right much fun.

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

Roland,

Beautiful observations of NGC 2261 (Hubble's Variable Nebula) and NGC 2683. You have captured the glow and color of NGC 2261 very nicely. NGC 2683 looks very interesting as well. Thank you for sharing these observations with us all.

Using the larger drawing surface will allow you to render more detail noted on your monitor. Most observers tend to use too small a drawing surface for their observations and therefore "cram lots of detail" into the rendering.

I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Roland,

You moved to very different directions in the sky and captured two very fine targets. NGC 2261 is always good to observe and does change in appearance. The galaxy in Lynx is one I have not observed but I must give it a try. Great sketching and as you say increasing the size help very much especially with pastel pencils. :waytogo: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Carlos and Frank. Getting the whisp of color really is fun but can be a challenge to get the hue right and be patient to study the monitor for awhile. It's worth it. I will do a sketching session at an astro video get-together in Luray VA in June, and will include a little about grabbing color since the astro video tool permits it to be seen fairly regularly...especially as summer progresses with lots of targets with boatloads of color.

#5 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Roland,
Great capture of both NGC's. Just gorgeous! Great job!!
God Bless

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Thanks. They sure are beautiful to observe.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics