Light Options for Sketch Boards in the Field

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

I realize this has more than likely been discussed in the past here, but I need a good solution for lighting on my sketch board and table when in the field. It's really difficult to do a pencil on white paper sketch outside in total (well almost) darkness...I've tried various flashlight options that just don't work too well for me. Specific recommendations as to products would be great!

Thanks! Tom

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Tom,

I posted several lighting possibilities over at my blog the other day. That post is located in this link, Sketching Lamps You can also find at the bottom of my post a link to Jeremy Perez's solution which I also really like. The link is located here. Finally Andrew posted in the comments to that blog his solution and it is a link at my blog. Andrew's solution is located at Andrew's blog, A Darker View located here. Hopefully a solution for you can be found from one of the three.

#3 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Jay, those are some really great suggestions. What I did was to get a clip on Bar-B-Q grill light, screw off the cover over the LED lights and insert some red film. It clips to my table and works great. Picked mine up at Lowe's Hardware.

Buddy

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Buddy,

Great suggestion. I've seen it done with a Grill Light from Target but I may have to give Lowes a try today.

#5 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

Jay,

very helpful sugesstions. :jump: Thanks.

#6 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, I like the WalMart booklight.... Obvious solution but I never thought of it... Will also stop by Lowe's and look at the Grill Lights...

#7 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

I'm also looking for another light too. Jay's light form wally World looks good. There are so many ways to make a good red light. I have a reading light I got form Amazon and it does not put out to much light. I have to keep moving it around my clip board, it is becoming a PITA. (pain in the a**)
Thanks for the suggestions. :D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics