New Mount ordered! Divorce Imminent

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

:flame: :flame: Oh wifee's gonna blow when she sees what I've just ordered :mrevil: :mrevil: She had to know something was up though..:evillaugh: :4 I could feel her over my shoulder while I was listing stuff on A-Mart,.. while I was collecting boxes and packing foam:ranting: :ranting: While I was selling equipment that I was pinning over only a few years ago.
But I ordered it anyway; A Universal Astronomics Double-Star Mount complete with DSC's and the TV sky tour computer :jump:
:crazyeyes: I just hope it shows up while she's out of town. I've been working out though... honing my Ninja skills in preperation of its arrival :jedi: :jedi: :brick:
I'll just hide all the pointy things in the house, and buy her some flowers... that will cut the butt-chewing down to about an hour :blah: :blah: :ohmy:

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hahahahahaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck!

Regards,

skybsd

#3 Joselo

Joselo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

maaann.... start packing ... hehehe

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

And I suppose she doesn't read Cloudy Nights? You hope?

#5 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

And I suppose she doesn't read Cloudy Nights? You hope?

yeah! what's her user name here on CN??.... we're gonna rat you out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

I always try to do parallel purchases. I try to make the gift to her as expensive as the piece I purchase. Cuts down on equipment to purchase, but lets me sleep in my bed...

#7 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

that's why I go those NEAF conventions....by myself....
The CFO won't know what happened.

#8 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

Do your remember the "for better or worse" part of the wedding ceremony?

Well, just tell her this is for the better.

:brick:

Lotsa luck, though.

John

#9 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

Take care... and warn the mail order guys when they arrive with the mount :getem:

#10 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

OOOHHH, YOUR IN TROUBLE NOW!!!

I hope you get a chance to use the mount before she catches you....

Congrats...

#11 skyjim

skyjim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, NY

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Yes thats a great plan and I did this for 2010 and it worked great, just you gotta pay cash no CC's no paper trails :foreheadslap:.... Just kiddin, heck I was looking at a used C9.25 last night that was used and my wife asked how much a new OTA would cost so I told her and she said dont be so cheap buy a new one :jump:, so I gave her a big hug n kissis. Sometimes she amazes me so off a shopping I will go, now if I could get her to say yes to an Atlas mount, oh well I think I'll stop right there :roflmao:.

#12 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Tell her you got something that will help her see stars. That will keep her guessing for awhile.

#13 phanf4

phanf4

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Over there in Chattanooga

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

For me to make a comment one way or another about this would land me in trouble with my wife if she reads this. :poke: Have you given any consideration in playing the lotto?? That may have a higher probability of being successful. !@#$%

#14 GrassyPond

GrassyPond

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Georgia

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

My wife told me to order the CGE Pro 8" yard cannon combo on the last day of NEAF. I am still trying to figure out what it is she wants.

#15 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

Tell her you got something that will help her see stars. That will keep her guessing for awhile.

Bad Idea... Without a doubt she will reveal something that is very heavy that she can use to make you see lots of stars. She will even be happy to show you how it's used...
:tonofbricks:

#16 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

I buy and sell scopes and mounts so fast my wife gets dizzy-all she sees is boxes coming and going and has no idea what's what-works great!

#17 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: southern tip of Illinois

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Wrong approach. Next time buy her the mount for her birthday.

#18 bseltzer

bseltzer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've got a sort of re-cycle program going that has worked OK so far. It goes like this. So long as I can sell one or more of my "old" toys for enough to pay for the "new" one, all is well.

When I run out of marketable old toys, I'm gonna have a problem, but so far, so good.

It also helps that my wife sincerely enjoys observing with me when she feels up to it, and she does take a genuine interest in the images I bring home when she opts not to join me. She couldn't care less about arcseconds or focal ratios or read noise, but being a painter herself, she's enough of an artist to appreciate "pretty pictures" and has enough of an eye to see the differences the "good stuff" makes.

Bottom line, being complete honest about my astro purchases hasn't deprived me of anything significant yet, and it has bought me a level of trust I'd be loath to jeopardize.

Regards,
Bert

#19 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

"I'll just hide all the pointy things in the house, and buy her some flowers... "
Jewelry always works better than flowers..it doesn't die and she can always wear it while you are using your mount. As far as the pointy objects..you're on your own there! :lol:

#20 Aircrftr

Aircrftr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Claremore OK

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

My Motto....
It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission....

#21 michiel

michiel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The hague Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

I buy and sell scopes and mounts so fast my wife gets dizzy-all she sees is boxes coming and going and has no idea what's what-works great!

This is exactly my strategy
:lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :jump: :jump: :jump:

#22 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

Wrong approach. Next time buy her the mount for her birthday.

That would certainly cause a fatality in this household..

I have to say mine has been pretty flexible in my astro-gear endeavors. She's come to realize it's less expensive, and much less problematic than my car tuning hobby. It definitely goes more smoothly when I offset new procurement expenses by selling off existing gear. It doesn't go so well when I mention buying a mount that would fully pay for a car.
:foreheadslap:

#23 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Get yourself a Post Office Box... in a post office- and then have your stuff shipped there! Then, you can disassemble it on your way home/in your car- and bring things in little pieces. Raises very little suspicion. Then, one day, you come walking out of the spare bedroom- or shop with a new telescope, and you can say "Oh, it's just something I assembled out of some extra parts..."

#24 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

I am learning some very bad but effective stategies in this thread. ;) I'm also laughing out loud alot..which might attract my wife to the PC...and I do not want her reading this! Wes, you are too funny with the PO box scenario. I could really see myself doing that. Thanks Matty for starting this thread..it is a riot! :roflmao: I was planning on selling some surplus stuff..EPs and finder scopes..etc. Time to get the confusion plan rolling!

#25 exitar01

exitar01

Explorer 1

• *----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Az

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Didn't you promise her the moon and stars anyway? What does she have to be mad about?

Then again I'm single. :4 !@#$%

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics