• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RobbW

RobbW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, IL

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Okay, after I effectively trashed my GoTo mount trying to make a DIY power supply, I decided to try something different. My mom has a Galileo reflector with an EQ motorized mount that she hasn't used since she bought it a few years ago. I asked to borrow the tripod and EQ mount to try it out with my Meade DS-2130. The EQ mount is not a GoTo mount, but it can track targets at the sidereal rate.

I got everything set up and then turned on the power to the EQ mount. I pressed one of the arrow buttons on the handbox to start slewing the scope, and it took right off. And never stopped! It just keeps slowly spinning clockwise. Nothing I do or press stops it. Even turning it off and back on doesn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would make an EQ motorized mount behave this way?

#2 Megapixelit

Megapixelit

Explorer 1

• Loc: Dobson N.C.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like one of the contacts in the control box is stuck. I'm not 100% posstive, but I'd bet money that under one of the buttons, there is a little copper peice that makes contact with another peice of copper when the button is pressed and held, and they are staying in contact with one another. I'd open up the hand controller with moms permission, and inspect all the parts. Lay them out in order as you take it apart. That way you can safly put it back together. Just be carful, and not force it apart, or back together. If you have a camera take pictures as you take it apart, that way you'll have a guild to help you if you get in trouble, or need help putting it back together. If you need help let me know.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics