• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Abraham

Bob Abraham

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hi, does anybody know if encoders (for use with a DSC computer) are available for the Astro-Tech Voyager?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 astroneil

astroneil

Surveyor 1

• Loc: res publica caledoniae

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

Hi Bob,

You may find something here to your liking;

http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_ngc.htm

Best wishes,

Neil.

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Have you thought about using a Celestron Skyscout and connecting it to the Voyager mount? I'm thinking of doing this myself instead od Encoders.

#4 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Have you thought about using a Celestron Skyscout and connecting it to the Voyager mount? I'm thinking of doing this myself instead od Encoders.

Encoders are an order of magnitude better than the SkyScout. There are no issues of magnetic problems with encoders and 10K Tic encoders plus their computer will let you find stuff the SkyScout would have no chance with even hand held. The encoders plus an Argo, Sky Commander etc also allow you to integrate with your PC and sky charting program.

#5 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

I agree encoders would be far more accurate and it would be cool to integrate it with a planetarium program. But my use is much more humble. I intend to employ a low power wide field scope on the Voyager (ST-80 or equivalent). If I can get within a couple deg of the target, I'm good. A main reason I bought a voyager mount, was to have a quick look capability and get away from laptops and tracking and all the related fuss. I just thought I'd let the OP know about another option, which admittedly may not be right at all for him depending on his goals.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics