Some one with no heavy lifting in mind works here:
http://www.composite...com/optics.html

Salvador

#27 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

As for Dream blanks - these do seem to cut to the chase! I am toying with the idea of a cellular mirror for a fast 22"-24". What I am not clear on, however, is who figures their blanks? I wonder if the issue of print-through comes up for opticians who are used to monoliths?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Print-through is a moot issue when a Dream blank is in the hands of a competent optician. They are engineered for absolute minimal displacements when polishing. They use a complex series of sub-ribs of varying sizes that support the face between the main ribs. I think my .71m Dream mirror has 6 different size sub-ribs. Here is a link to a discussion on print-through: Print-Through Note Mike Lockwoods comments about Dream's cellular mirrors. Speaking of Mike, you asked who figures Dream's blanks, well, Mike Lockwood is the one optician that I would recommend. He does custom work, is reasonably priced and without a doubt the most talented optician for the amateur/pro market. Look on Mike's website also. He has some good things to say about Dream's blanks. Mike has completed a number of mirrors using Dream blanks and has the experience to give an honest opinion of them.
The other advantages of Dream cellular are huge, especially thermal tracking of the ambient. Take a look at their website. Thermal Tracking Shane is a great guy to deal with, friendly and helpful. Give him a call if you are serious about that 24". My experience with a .71m and a 9" m.a. elliptical diagonal left me with no regrets. Both were designed and cast in a matter of weeks, not months or years. Good Luck.

Scott

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics