Photo

Recommended Mount for $1500+

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 JakeJ

JakeJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Honestly I don't understand all this fuss about the polar alignment routine on the CGEM. It is simply an "iterative alignment". You can do an iterative aligment on virtually any goto mount, including the Atlas - it is a very simple procedure.

You don't appear to be familiar with Celestron's polar alignment feature. It is unique.

I have read how the routine works - unless I am missing something it is a fancy way of doing an iterative alignment (which can also be done if Polaris is not visible).

#27 Locoweed

Locoweed

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

My experience with the CGEM has been mixed. I have not had very good results trying to image at 1600mm with approx. 33lbs. on it. Not a surprise I guess as most folks recommend 50% of the visual load rating for AP work. For shorter FL and/or lighter loads it's a good value.

#28 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

I have read how the routine works - unless I am missing something it is a fancy way of doing an iterative alignment (which can also be done if Polaris is not visible).

It's a little different... And you don't have to use Polaris. In fact, I think the latest routine, AllStar, works best if you use something other than Polaris. ;)

As for the choice between CGEM and Atlas...they are more similar than different. I got my Atlas the year before the CGEM came out. At first I was bummed, but I've come to love the mount and EQMOD.

The closest thing to the Celestron polar alignment routine is the program AlignMaster. Usually the Atlas polar scope is good enough for me, though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics