• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Takaholic

Takaholic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Burnaby, Canada

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

Anyone using this type of mount. Just picked one up today and it is truly impressive. Mounted a 6" f8 SW on one side without any counter balance and it was so Smoooooth. I'm using a surveyors tripod which works well. Any other suggestions on a better tripod? Will be using it for a TOA-130 and TSA-102.

#2 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

How is the tension on the vertical axis of that mount? Are you able to set the tension (once the scope is initially balanced) and leave it alone, or does it have to be re-adjusted when you change eyepieces or make a major change in vertical position? Or does the scope have to be re-balanced at that point?
That is one problem that seems to plague a lot of those types of designs - I've never been able to get a good answer on how the Max Load handles that. Would love to know.

John

#3 john 127

john 127

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Napa, CA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:11 AM

The Losmandy G11 tripod works quite well for fairly heavy loads. I use it with an AP 155 mounted on a DM-6 and it's pretty smooth. It's even better when I put the combo on an 8inch ATS pier. Are you able to put encoders on the Max load? I've been interested in it too but I prefer encoders.

John

#4 Takaholic

Takaholic

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

The tension has a lot of holding power. You can adjust from very little to almost unable to move the scope. It is better to adjust the balance for each eyepiece, but sometimes that is not practical. What I do is balance the scope with a eyepiece that is about average weight and then set the tension so that the mount moves smoothly with heavier and lighter eyepieces. Since the mount is still new it needs some time to break in the horizontal movement. Its a little stiff at this point, but only becomes a problem when pointed at zenith. The vertical movement is very smooth and focusing in and out will cause the telescope to go up or down when no tension is applied. Overall I very impressed with this purchase and confident that I will be using it for may years to come.

#5 Takaholic

Takaholic

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm seriously looking at the G11 folding tripod with 2 extensions. The other consideration is a portable pier. I haven't seen any encoders made for this mount, but I'm also looking into that, since with over 120lb payload capacity and encoders it would be hard to beat.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics