CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Power Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 kpendlebury

kpendlebury

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

I currently own a CGEM mount and in the next 6 months or so might upgrade to a Losmandy G11 with Gemini.

The CGEM is pretty happy with my 12V, 3A power supply, but I have read many reports that this is an "iffy" range for the G11 and that it is happier at ~18V.

My question is this (please keep in mind I don't know much about EE stuff... even basic stuff):

I currently own a 0-18V, 0-3 Amp AC to DC power supply that I would like to use for mount power if possible. The part that confuses me is that it clearly states that it has constant voltage -OR- constant current and has a dial to control each. Is this type of power supply adequate for powering a DC mount or am I getting myself into trouble heading down that path? Losmandy states that the G11 requires 1.5A.

If interested, I have this model:
http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thanks for any advice.

#2 John Noble

John Noble

Mariner 2

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

(putting on my electro-boy beanie)

It will work fine in the sense that it will supply enough current (that's the "amps") at the correct voltage: just set the voltage to 18VDC (or whatever the mount wants) and don't use the constant current mode (or crank the current limit up to maximum). I seriously doubt the mount draws 1.5A all the time--that's probably the maximum when ramping up to a full speed slew.

BUT ... lab equipment like that isn't made to be out in the damp night air--if there's significant dew you will have problems sooner or later. I'd look into using 12 or so NiMH rechargeable batteries for 14.4VDC nominal. You might get away with AA size ($2.50/ea. for Sanyo Eneloop at Amazon plus $30 for a La Crosse Technology BC-700 charger), which would be mighty convenient. If not, D cells with 4-5X more capacity would definitely do the job ($10/ea.).

Better yet, ask Losmandy what they suggest for power. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics