• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

I want to go back to a GEM. Should I buy a beefy GEM to mount my 8" dob tube or buy a smaller GEM, like EQ-3 size or so, with a 6" f/5 or so size scope? I am primarily a lunar and planetary observer, but like comets and open star clusters, too.

#2 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

If you are going to be mounting an 8" f/5 or more OTA I would go heavier...and that scope would be just great for lunar and planetary work. Personally, I don't think I would be happy downsizing from there :lol: Below is my C8N on an Atlas which throws it around effortlessly. Clear Skies, BrianB

Attached Files

#3 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

YES. I said I would buy a beefy mount for the 8. The EQ3 size was to hold the 6, assuming that is what I decided to do. I like the 8" aperture but not the lack of micro-movement and the option of tracking. What size of EQ is your Atlas mount. I wish the EQs would be called by number. I keep forgetting which name is which one, then every maker has its own name for the same size mount! :grin:

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

The Orion Atlas is the Synta EQ6/EQ6P, the Orion Sirius is the Synta HEQ5/HEQ5P. The "P" means it has Go To...I think pretty much all of the new Atlas' and Sirius' being sold now are the Go To models but I could not swear to it.
Hope this helps, BrianB :usa:

#5 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Yes, that did help. It also let me know - after checking with Orion's website - just how EXPENSIVE they are. Even getting one used will make it about twice what I paid for the 8" dob New! I might want to go another route.

I used to have Celestron's C150HD, the forerunner of the C6N (the little brother to yours). This had a corrector lens built into the secondary housing. I had a lot of people tell me that the views weren't good or that I couldn't use a barlow with it, both due to this lens artificially extending the FL from 750mm to 1000mm. I found neither of these things to be true. My best view EVER of Mars was with this scope (the C150HD) on 08/03/03 near the super close approach. I miss the mico-movements of the GEM and the scope in general. I want a GEM again but I don't want to spend so much money. What would be perfect is if I could sell the dob and get something else with the money. I LOVE the 8" aperture, but I want to put it on a GEM. I can't see myself spending the kind of money that it is going to take to support an 8" f/6 tube. It really wouldn't bother me to go back to a 6" aperture. I have no bias against the used market. Any ideas?

#6 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

You haven't mentioned a price range, but I think the XLT 150 that we bought on a CG-4 works pretty fine, and is a great value for the money.

It's about 45# full up and ready to go, which is my personal upper limit for "luggable". We put the clock motors on the mount, flocked the entire main tube, and enjoy pretty awesome views from our location with bad LP (red zone just outside Denver).

The best views I've ever had of the moon were through this scope on a cold February evening. Everything just came together.

Hope this helps,

-brian

#7 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

In an ideal world, I would sell my dob and replace it (through purchase or trade) with a 6" f/5 or so on a GEM without spending anymore money, but that isn't going to happen. The Celestron you have is the same as the one Orion has for about $420. I had a C150HD, Celestron's older 6" f/57 on a EQ3, although the C150HD was an f/7. Is wasn't until now that I realize how much a liked that scope. it looks externally like Celestron's C6N and is the same as yours, or IS yours if they don't have the C6N anymore. I would like buy a GEM to put my 8" dob tube on, but the price for the mount, without coming close to the weight limit, will be about twice what I paid for the dob in the first place, so I don't know what I can do. I would like the tracking and slow motion controls of a GEM again though, but I don't want to go too much lower in aperture. I am mainly a Lunar and Planetary observer, so I don't really need a 6" or 8" scope, but I don't know. I am even considering going back to a refractor, but I don't think I am going to do that, but I don't know about that either. If I had a super butt load of $$$$$$$, this wouldn't be an issue, you know. Is there anything else I haven't thought of? Even USED is fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics