Photo

How to Polar Align Older CG5 (Non Compt)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

First night with mount. I could see Polaris through the Polar Alignment Scope. But, it was difficult to see the cross hairs and little circle. Mine is non-illuminated. How do you polar align if you cannot see the cross hairs - much less the tiny circle into which Polaris goes? My PA scope only has cross hairs and a tiny off set circle. There is nothing else etched onto the glass. The stars are very fuzzy through it. I am not expecting to do astro photography. But, I do like looking at objects for extended periods of time - and having the drive motors keeping those objects in the ep is very nice. Everything was drifting out tonight in part b/c the scope was not properly polar aligned, I think.

#2 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Well if you shine a red light or even a regular flashlight down the polar scope at an angle (not directly down it) you can see the crosshairs and little circle better.

#3 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

You should be able to get an acceptable PA without using a PS at all. Start by properly balancing you equipment. This will help improve your tracking. After you have properly balanced, place the scope in the polar home. That is CW shaft pointing at the ground and the scope pointed at Polaris. Using a moderate power EP,(100x or so) center Polaris with the mounts ALT/AZ adjustments. This should get you good enough for visual use.

#4 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Does that mean that objects will generally stay in the field of view of the ep when the motors are on? If so, then something was bad wrong last night. Saturn slide across the field of view faster with the motors on than off.

#5 Asimov

Asimov

Skylab

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Check the hand controller settings. There should be an option for either northern or southern hemisphere. Sounds like it's using the wrong hemisphere option.

#6 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked that and I also checked to see if I had the control wires crossed. When I had a CG4 mount, I just used the RA motor. I wonder if I can do the same on the CG5?

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:20 PM

When I had a CG4 mount, I just used the RA motor. I wonder if I can do the same on the CG5?

If it's working properly, you ARE using only the RA motor. The DEC motor isn't involved in tracking. There are only a few likely issues here; either the tracking rate is way incorrect, the RA motor direction is reversed, the DEC motor is being driven instead of the RA motor due to a cable mixup, or the DEC motor is stuck "on" due to a controller failure. It'll be easy to figure out whether it's one of the former two or one of the latter two by simply noting the direction of the drift; it's either in RA or in DEC.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics