• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Dragan,

A friend of mine saw one of your vests and had to order one. She told me and I have also ordered one.

I have a nice dark neighborhood, but I hate the mosquitos landing on the back of my neck. :cool:

Cheers,

Ron

#27 Planet Bob

Planet Bob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harrisburg, Pa

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Fellow DSO observers,

I and 2 other Chesmont club (SE Pa) members purchased vests at TSP and were able to use them for about 2 1/2 hours hours on Friday night. All 3 of us are 'seasoned' DSO observers, and we were unprepared for the improvement in image quality resulting from the use of the vest. Put simply, we could see more galaxies, more detail and more extension.

I had used a piece of dark material in the past, which did work, but was awkward and inconvenient, so seldom used. The vest is comfortable and easy to use.

My wife, who does custom sewing, was surprised by the high quality of the materials, fit and sewing, and worried that the makers might only break even at the asking price.

This accessory underscores the importance of dark adaptation, and its degradation resulting from observing field light pollution (red observing lights, tripod lights, equipment lights and computer screens), and illumination from the night sky (the Milky Way can cast obvious shadows!).

Clear and dark skies,

Bob

#28 Sirius76

Sirius76

Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago, Il

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

Ron and Bob,

Thank you so much for your comments. Being the new kid on the block when it comes to astro-gear, the positive remarks you two have left as well as all the comments left by other CN'ers has been remarkable. Its that sort of press thats so important to us! We're just glad that we can offer a product thats never been offered before and that fellow astronomers are seeing the benefits of such a product.

And Bob. Thank you to your wife for her comments. We're extremely proud of the quality of work that we can offer to our fellow observers. Especially for the price we've set! Its always a proud feeling when others notice. Thank you again!

#29 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hi all,

To those who inquired into when we'd have more M51 shirts in white back in stock, they're back! We have a full inventory of both our Eskimo and M51 shirts back in stock.

We're also excited about two announcements.

In about a week or two we're going to release a pretty awesome Saturn shirt!

Also our 2XL Hooded Observing Vest should be on the website as planned, on or about July 1st. I'll announce it here when they both are available for purchase.

Thanks to all for your inquiries and your patience!

#30 sparky123

sparky123

Ranger 4

• Loc: 41°N 96°W

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

These observing vests are outstanding. not only is it a brilliant idea...dragan went above and beyond as these are made incredibly well. These vests are a no-brainer....everyone pick one up as they are worth their weight in gold!!!

Thanks Dragan

#31 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest USA

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Dragan
My wife and I both had our first opportunity to use your vests in a "real" situation at the Oregon Star Party and I think that my wife may have found a novel use.
She was taking her first astrophotos using a DSLR and wanted to look at the results on her camera screen so she pulled her hood over the camera and wrapped the back of the camera with it so she could see and not send white light out to others... worked great! Oh and of course it was great for its intended use also :)
Dave

#32 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Sparky & Dave,

Thank you so much for your kind words! Word of mouth is very important to us. We appreciate your opinions!

#33 blueshift

blueshift

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hey Sirius76! What gives with your site? I put in the correct town, state and zip and your site claims it is not valid! Arlington Hts, Illinois 60005 does exist! I have lived there for the last 40 years!

#34 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

PM sent

#35 LouP

LouP

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi,

I seem to be late to the party but was looking for something like this for solar and night time use. Is this something that can be too hot for the summer and can it be used for both. Or is better to wait for the solar version to be produced.

Thanks,
LouP

#36 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hi Lou,

Our black vest can get quite hot in the daytime sun. We've heard from some folks who don't mind it in cooler weather but in summertime heat it becomes quite stifling.

We're hoping our white vest will help with that. Obviously it can't reflect all of the heat from the sun but it is a huge improvement over the black vest during the day. The white color definitely helps.

The main difference between the white and black vests (other than color obviously :p)is that the white vests hood is double lined for added darkening. We found a single lining wasn't enough to block out as much light as we liked.

I hope I answered your questions.

And as a quick update to everyone patiently waiting, we plan to have our white vests on the website and available for purchase this weekend. We've had a few hiccups in the production and were not able to meet our own deadline of mid November. We're pretty confident that we'll have them available this weekend.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on CN that isn't on our notification list.

Thanks!

#37 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Underground... really

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

Looking forward to seeing you at NEAF 2011

#38 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

Agreed!!

We also hope to have a some new product to unveil!

#39 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi Dragan,

I bought one of the black vests last year and love it. I started getting into solar observing this year and just had to have the white one so I placed an order. Every single time I use them at a Star party or a neighborhood astronomy get together I run people ask about the vests. When I let them put it on they admire the workmanship and the quality of the product. Thanks to both of you for providing this wonderful product!

#40 Sirius76

Sirius76

• Vendors

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi Dragan,

I bought one of the black vests last year and love it. I started getting into solar observing this year and just had to have the white one so I placed an order. Every single time I use them at a Star party or a neighborhood astronomy get together I run people ask about the vests. When I let them put it on they admire the workmanship and the quality of the product. Thanks to both of you for providing this wonderful product!

Hi John,

Thank you so much for the kind & publicly made comments! They are truly appreciated and do not go unnoticed!

:bow:

#41 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi Lou,

Our black vest can get quite hot in the daytime sun. We've heard from some folks who don't mind it in cooler weather but in summertime heat it becomes quite stifling.

We're hoping our white vest will help with that. Obviously it can't reflect all of the heat from the sun but it is a huge improvement over the black vest during the day. The white color definitely helps.

The main difference between the white and black vests (other than color obviously :p)is that the white vests hood is double lined for added darkening. We found a single lining wasn't enough to block out as much light as we liked.

I hope I answered your questions.

And as a quick update to everyone patiently waiting, we plan to have our white vests on the website and available for purchase this weekend. We've had a few hiccups in the production and were not able to meet our own deadline of mid November. We're pretty confident that we'll have them available this weekend.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on CN that isn't on our notification list.

Thanks!

Just received the white solar hooded vest, and modeled it for my teenage daughter, with the hood up. She said it made me look like those white hooded people. Fortunately I don't live in the south, but I wish it had a solar observing logo, to avoid having to explain the white hood.

I do like the fact the hood is oversized and extends down over the eyes. I may add velcro to the lower chin area of the hood. But they say some like it open to reduce dew and some like it closed when dew is less likely.

I chose the white one, because it is hot in the summer while solar observing, even in the north. I used to wear a black hooded sweatshirt, and like the name implies, I did sweat alot in summer days.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics